Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingo View Post
    I automatically think "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing."

WOW - I had totally forgotten about Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing - that's a blast from the past. I think Mavis is one of those names that would really grow on me once I saw it on a real little girl.

This seems to be one people either love or hate. I for one am another lover. It's a favorite of mine, but I love vintage names. I also really like Avis, which still feels very vintage, but also quite contemporary because of its relation to the uber popular, Ava.
    Noora
    Mom to Rusha, Tarek, and Naseem

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I think it's a great name and it will age well. It was on my list, but my SO's name starts with an "S," and it just wouldn't work for us. If your family has objections to the name, they will melt away when they meet your Mavis.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

Thanks for all the feedback ladies...it's definitely one of my faves & has been for a long time.

I am a mum to both a Beatrice (age 4) and a Mavis (age 1). We get so many compliments on their names both individually and as a sibset. We often introduce them as our "old girls" in a humourous reference to the vintage nature of the names. One nn that gets overlooked for Mavis is Mavie...which is super sweet. There are a lot of little "Maeve"s running around in our community and Mavis' name is distinct enough so that she stands out in a good way.