Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Leo as a nickname for Elliot?

The traditional long forms of Leo are off the table (ie Leonard, Leonardo, Leopold etc). So I thought that Elliot could be shortened to Leo. I know it's not the traditional nickname for Elliot, but I love Leo and like the idea of a longer name if he later chooses to go by a full name.

Wdyt? Thanks! M

It may not be straight-forward, but I have seen a lot stranger and I love both Elliot and Leo, so I'd say it's just fine!
    My furry darlings ~ Bodie the border terrier & Portia and Penny the guinea pigs

Amabel ~ Beryl ~ Bryony ~ Cecily ~ Charis ~ Clara ~ Dinah ~ Flora ~ Georgiana ~ Ophelia ~ Rosamund ~ Sylvie ~ Tabitha ~ Tamsin ~ Violet

Arthur ~ Barnaby ~ Basil ~ Bertie ~ Darcy ~ Elliot ~ Felix ~ Fraser ~ Frederick ~ Henry ~ Monty ~ Rowan ~ Rupert ~ Theodore ~ Tristan

I think it works fine! Elliot is my third favorite way to get to the nn Leo (after Leopold and Leander). Lio is right there, so I don't know why it would be a huge stretch. I think Elliot nn Leo makes much more sense than Elliot nn Eli--the only sound that Elliot and Eli share in common are the "L". And I think Eli's a fairly common nn for Elliot.

If you're not set on Elliot nn Leo, I think another great way to get Leo is a -ley ending name, followed by an "O" MN, like Hartley Owen, or Bailey Oscar (on my own list!), or Riley Oliver...

I am once again asking myself why? If you like Leo, then use it. It is a perfectly sound name on its own and doesn't need a longer form. I don't see the point of naming your child a name that will never be used.

Thanks everyone! I would normally agree that a longer name for Leo isn't necessary, but DH isn't sold on Leo so Elliot is sort of a compromise. ;-)