Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What makes a name feel trendy?

This is obviously a subjective question...what's the difference between trendy and popular? What makes a name feel super-trendy and, eventually, dated?

Is the difference between popular/on trend/timely and trendy marked by the sharpness in the rise on the SSA charts?

Eg, I was looking at two popularity charts for names that are growing in popularity: Asher and Ezra. Asher was #108 and Ezra #184 in the US last year. So not far apart, right? But Asher SHOT up from the 900s range just in the last 10 years, while Ezra has been climbing more steadily since the '70s. Is that why Asher feels so much more trendy to me? Or why Ava, which came up from the bottom of the charts only since the '90s, feels more trendy than Emily, which has been in the top 200 ever since the SSA charts existed?

Or, is it whether a name has history and namesakes behind it, rather than being a totally NEW name? EG, Mason and Madison feel like they are going to be dated in 20 years, but Sophia, Isabella, Emma and Jacob and William, less so. But all of those are current top 10 names.

Also, how in the world is it that a new baby Isaiah makes me worry that it's getting trendy, but his toddler brother Joshua makes me think "oh, I haven't heard of a little baby Josh lately", though actually Joshua is #17 and Isaiah #42? Is it because Joshua has been very popular for the past 40 yrs, while Isaiah has been climbing more recently?

Obviously, this is a pertinent question for those of us wanting to avoid the "it" names of the next 10 years...how do you predict which names will be trendy, or differentiate between a name that's popular (yet still classic, solid) and one that's trendy and will be dated?

I look for static names. Meaning, the popularity hasn't gone up much in the last 30 years. Still solid names, but won't scream "I was born in 20XX decade." There were several names I considered, but I saw them creeping. They'd been static or low through the 40's-70's, but started rising dramatically through the 90's-now. Even if they're still relatively low, I could see them bouncing to the top 50 easily. I use the Baby Name Voyager to help gauge that. I also consider anything made up or misspelled as trendy. Michaela is OK, but notsomuch with McKayllah.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Trendy, to me, is a name that shoots up the charts rather quickly (and will probably fall just as quickly). So yes, I pretty much agree with you. A name can be popular (Sarah, Emily, etc.) but not trendy because it has been popular for a long time and has shown staying power.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

Trendy, to me, is anything made up or relatively novel. Any of the -Aden names, (even though Aidan is legit.) Anything misspelled. Names that have historically been used for one gender and are now being bestowed upon the other. Any name that has been legitimately "made up" by the parent, (or some other parent,) like Briley. All those characteristics seem flash-in-the-pan trendy to me.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Phaedra, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Caspian

Adding to that, I don't feel like names that have been around forever and are becoming popular again are "trendy." Classics like Emma, Sophia, etc are just popular right now. Maybe annoyingly popular, but I don't think they sound trendy. Excuse me for saying this, but to me, "trendy" screams cheap, shallow, and here today/gone tomorrow. A name being popular is much different than a name being trendy IMO.

Example:
    popular and classic - little black dress
    trendy - leg warmers and neon
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Phaedra, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Caspian