Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    @tintri, I mostly agree with you that Emma, Sophia, etc are more "currently popular" than trendy. However, I do feel like there's something to the perceived popularity/trendiness that has to do with the steepness of the rise in popularity. In the examples I gave, even though Ava and Asher have historic roots and usage, they still somehow FEEL a lot trendier today than Joshua or Emily, though technically, in terms of how many babies are given these names, they are equally or less popular.

So, I do agree with you that Emma, Ava, etc are better options than a made-up or mispelt name, and are certainly more classic...BUT I still feel like classic names can sound currently trendy because of how quickly they've suddenly come out of obscurity and into popularity.

I think smismar is on to something with the static names. For example, Elizabeth. It has been in the top 20, and usually top 10, since SSA rankings began. But I never get that sense of "oh, boy, another Elizabeth" that I do when I hear of another Sophia or Isabella these days. Though, yes, I think those names are also classic and lovely. But I think the key is that Isabella shot up from the 900s only in the last 20 years.

Is it that trendy names have more buzz? Or that, when you first hear them, they sound very exciting and ear-catching: "oh, Isabella, that's a classic name I haven't heard it a while!" and then, 10 yrs later, the freshness is gone? Is it that it feels "of the moment" and "fresh" because you don't know many 20 and 40 yr old Isabellas...so the parents picking the name think it's new and unusual? (I think a lot of parents don't have any idea of the SSA rankings when they pick the name. Or am I just assuming most parents wouldn't intentionally pick the #1 name of the year?)

Names that move up fast. Names that are misspelled.
    First baby due on September 7, 2015!

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Trendy to me is a name that doesn't necessarily have roots or is an alteration on a popular name. Anything with the Aiden sound, for instance. Yeah, Aiden is a legit name. But I still throw it into the same category as Jayden, Cayden, Brayden, Peyton... Similarly, K+Y names. Kiana, Kylah, Kylie, Kaylie, Kaylyn (it's 5 million variations), Katelyn (it's 5 million variations), Kyrie, Keeley... A+S names... Alissa, Alyssa, Alexia, Alyxia, Alexa, Addison, Ava...

Honestly, has anyone gone around and counted up the various spellings? I swear the name charts are SO SKEWED because no one is counting the Caitlynns, Caitlyns, Caitlyns, Caytlins, Catelins, Catelyns, Catelynns, Caitlynns, Katelyns, Kaitlins, Katelyns, Katelynns, Kaitlynns, Kaetlynns, Kaetlyns, Kaetlins, Caetlynns, Caetlyns... Do I really need to keep going? I mean... come on...
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

Quote Originally Posted by celianne View Post
    Trendy to me is a name that doesn't necessarily have roots or is an alteration on a popular name. Anything with the Aiden sound, for instance. Yeah, Aiden is a legit name. But I still throw it into the same category as Jayden, Cayden, Brayden, Peyton... Similarly, K+Y names. Kiana, Kylah, Kylie, Kaylie, Kaylyn (it's 5 million variations), Katelyn (it's 5 million variations), Kyrie, Keeley... A+S names... Alissa, Alyssa, Alexia, Alyxia, Alexa, Addison, Ava...

Honestly, has anyone gone around and counted up the various spellings? I swear the name charts are SO SKEWED because no one is counting the Caitlynns, Caitlyns, Caitlyns, Caytlins, Catelins, Catelyns, Catelynns, Caitlynns, Katelyns, Kaitlins, Katelyns, Katelynns, Kaitlynns, Kaetlynns, Kaetlyns, Kaetlins, Caetlynns, Caetlyns... Do I really need to keep going? I mean... come on...

You should check out the Name Nerd Popularity lists, which do just that (the most recent is from 2011). It's no surprise to me that Aiden and Jayden leapfrog Jacob to take the #1/#2 spots for boys when you count all their various spellings.
    http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/pop.html

Laura & Derek

Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Leonie - Margot - Selene
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - LĂșthien - Vesper - Zephyr

Any name that rises fast and has a million "Shoot-off" names from it. the -aden names drive me nuts. I hate them. Also the made-up -lyn names.
    Some names are truly timeless however. Elizabeth has been in the top 20 for nearly every year since the SSA started keeping track. And even though it's popular, it is solid and not trendy.
    I'm Sierra.
    I write poetry.
    I have no life--just my imagination.

Winifred, Faye, Adelheid, Agnes, Anne, Eleanor, Hollis, Arthur, Benedict, Finn