Names Searched Right Now:

Hybrid View

Heard a cool name today - not in NB database

While talking to my friend today, she mentioned her friend Zemfira (zehm-FEER-uh) and that she was of Russian descent. People call her Zemfy! How cute is that? Google revealed that Zemfira was also the name of a Russian, female-fronted band. Makes sense. I thought it was pretty spunky and cool. What are your reactions? Have you heard the name before?

Its very, very unique! I actually thought it would be African; they have such interesting names. From what I've seen Zemfira is a Russian name, but it has Latin origins and it means ""Recalcitrant" or "resisting authority or control". It would be a cool name to name a character struggling to free her people and fulfilling a prophecy. Its neat!! It would also be cool spelled as Zemphira.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

Ohh... that is mighty cool. Is there a male version?
    Last edited by wintersage; June 30th, 2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by wintersage View Post
    Ohh... that is mighty cool. Is there a male version?
    ooooh, good question! If there were one, I think maybe it would be like Zephyr but with a twist. I will look into that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by liviajoan View Post
    Its very, very unique! I actually thought it would be African; they have such interesting names. From what I've seen Zemfira is a Russian name, but it has Latin origins and it means ""Recalcitrant" or "resisting authority or control". It would be a cool name to name a character struggling to free her people and fulfilling a prophecy. Its neat!! It would also be cool spelled as Zemphira.
    Multiquote isn't working for me, so bear with me guys. (if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me!)

That is some awesome information! I am digging the meaning. I also thought that it sounded a little like it was of African origins, too (then again I'm not overly familiar with Russian names, so I am not the best judge).

I had my friend text me the name after she mentioned it to me ( a little weird to her, I'm quite sure lol) and she originally texted the Zemphira spelling but then corrected herself. I think that spelling is gorgeous!
    Last edited by taliawhat; June 30th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.