Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Same as with first names really: historical or literate references, namesakes or just plain old names that I love. I normally put the names that I love the most as the first name, however in a case like Anna Ingrid Alexandra where Ingrid is my absolute favourite name, that combination just flows better than Ingrid Anna Alexandra (I admittedly have an irk when it comes to repetitive first letters).
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

I think middles are a place of honor, but DH likes the link to be subtle rather than overt (no direct namesake). My daughter's middle came from my mother Carol and MIL Sharon, so we used Caron (pronounced like Karen). Still a real name, but a subtle nod to both grandmother's. We just decided on the middle name of our boy. My dad's name is Rodger and FIL's middle is Herman (and GFIL's first is Herman), so we'll use Roman.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron (May '09) and Linus Roman (born 08.21.13)
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Felix Simon · Arthur · Malcolm · Desmond · Theodore · Jasper
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Fox · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki

I choose middle names with family connections.
    Current Top 10s

Silas~Cyrus~Jasper~Gideon~Callum (Cal)
    Dexter (Dex)~Leander (Leo)~Everett~August (Gus)~Abraham (Abram)

Selah~Willa~Scarlett (Lettie)~Rosemary (Romy)~Coretta (Cora)
    Maisy~Cecelia~Calista (Calla)~Hattie~Celia

(formerly chrbaker)

I think my preference is for flow since some of my name combos are family+fave author, some are mentor+family surname, and some are sounds pretty+significant place. I think I may be a bit more adventurous with the mn spot than first, though.
    若兰

I'm just a third-culture girl with an affinity for names.

For me, the middle names are all about family. I have two middle names which both honor family members, and so does my son. Flow doesn't matter nearly as much to me.