Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you pick middle names?

I'm curious as to how others pick middle names to go along with the first names they love. Even though they are so rarely used in day to day life I think Middle Names are an important enough part of us to deserve a lot of thought. I'm so obsessed with finding a middle name to go along with my favorite names, and I've been thinking about middle names a lot lately. So how do you go about picking a middle name for your name combos? Do you pick another name that is a favorite? Your 2nd favorite? Something you're not brave enough to use for a first? Does it have to hold meaning for you? Does it follow your normal 'style' and 'rules' for names.

And I am sure that there is a post like this already, but I could not find it in my quick look to find one.

For me I follow certain 'rules' for each boys and girls when thinking of middle names I'd actually use. For girls, because my mom named all her kids, which are all girls, all A names, I really want to honor that by having all my girls have A middle names. I don't want A first names, because I want their names to be all different, and so many of my favorites are not A names, so using A middle names is perfect for me. And for boys, I really want to honor my grandparents/great-grandparents, and so each of the name combos I 100% love for a boy, have a grandparents name honored in it somehow. That way for first names, I can use all the names I love that have nothing to do with family names.
    If I had a baby right now, I'd name it,
    Scarlett Amelia or Emerson Joseph.
    I also like Cashel, Gabriel, Genevieve, & Juliette. + So much more.
    I'm Ashley btw, and I'm 19!
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9822324

This is something I have thought about a lot. I am torn between choosing names I love and names that honor people who I love. It just so happens that both my paternal and maternal grandmothers have the same middle name. I just don't really like that name. I keep going back and forth about using it or not. Fortunately, I am not planning to TTC for another 5+ years, so I think I have some time to think about it.
    19 year old name lover
    Currently obsessed with Charlotte Eve & Jude Oliver
    United States

For me, middle names are all about identity.

One might go through life and meet fifteen other people with their same, exact first name, but rarely will they ever meet someone with their same first and middle name combination-- and I think there's something really beautiful about that. Also, what I've found to be true (in my extremely limited experience) is that middle names tend to have more meaning than the child's first name. Therefore, when I choose middle names, I try to choose something with personal significance.

Flow and meaning.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.