Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name my hypothetical boys!

Hello. I’m not pregnant, but looking to expand my hypothetical boy’s list. I have a number of names that I quite like, but only a few that I really love. My fiancé is harder to please, but hasn’t come up with any suggestions himself other than Junior (not happening!).

Can you offer any suggestions on names we might like? I will be taking on his single syllable surname, which starts with ‘C’. Therefore we’re looking for names of 2 or more syllables, excluding ‘C’ names (neither of us are keen on alliterative names).

Names we both like;
    Alistair
    Arthur (getting a bit too common)
    Bram (really like, but too short with our name)
    Martin
    Peter (both of us have a grandfather called Peter so this would be a nice way to honour both families, but I don’t love it)
    Orion (this is his favourite. I like it as a middle)
    William (again, very nice but common)

Names that I like, but fiancé isn't keen on;
    Andrew
    Bertram, nn. Bram (this is my favourite way to get to Bram, as I’m not fond of Abraham)
    Dexter
    Graeme (the spelling puts him off, but I’m not very fond of the Graham spelling)
    Griffin
    Hamish (My favourite. I love this name)
    Jago (doesn't go with his surname anyway, so it's out, but I think it's lovely)
    Leopold
    Otis
    Tobias
    Rupert
    Zachary (he HATES this name, so it's definitely out, but I like the energy of it)

Thanks for you help!
    Girl Names: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boy Names: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx

I like Hamish too, but I think most people think it's weird.

From the "both like" list, my faves are Arthur (I don't think it's too common), Alistair, and Bram. I don't like Bertram nn Bram, I think it's better as a stand-alone name. I also like Bran, but I don't think it works in the US.

Orion is my least favorite name from both lists. You should probably keep it as a middle since he loves it (you gotta compromise somewhere), but it just seems like it's trying to hard. Also, I met a little girl named Orion once, which is even more absurd than the name itself, but now every time I hear it I think of a little blonde first grader.

Thanks for your feedback. I should have explained that my fiance and I are Canadian and English respectively, which probably contributes to him thinking that some of the names I pick (such as Hamish, Rupert & Graeme) are odd! We're currently living in Canada, but plan to be living in England when we do start our family. Therefore when we look at name popularity, we tend to go by UK stats rather than US ones. Arthur was at number 68 in England & Wales in 2011, and predicted to be higher in 2012, so a bit more popular than I would like.

As an astronomy buff, Orion is literally the only name he's been excited about so far! I mentioned it once after working with an Orion, which I suppose kind of normalised the name for me, but can I can see why others might think it's a bit pretentious. Hence why I'd prefer to keep it as a middle.

Do you have any other suggestions of names we might both like?
    Girl Names: Alice, Anna, Astrid, Beatrice, Clara, Emily, Evelyn, Hannah, Hermione, Lorna, Phoebe, Sophie, Sylvia
    Boy Names: Andrew, Arthur, Elliot, Griffin, Hamish, Henry, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Thomas, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Damaris, Digory, Emrys, Ganymede, Hester, Jessamine, Phineas, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx

Oh, and apparently I can add Malcolm to the list of names we both like