Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

India Wren - what do you think?

What do you think of this name (nn Indie)? Any suggestions of other middle names? Rose is lovely but I'm looking for more unique. Sage & Pearl are others I've considered.

I love India Wren!

I don't want to jump on you, because I understand that India has a beautiful sound and a lovely simple-yet-exotic feel, so I understand the appeal of the name. However, I do think anyone considering the name India needs to consider the issues of colonialization and imperialism first. There was a thread on here a while back where someone from Indian background expressed a lot of hurt and offense about Caucasians using the name India.

I also think it's problematic to name a kid after a major country that will be in the news a lot for both positive and negative reasons...especially if you've never been there personally and there's not a strong personal reason to use the name. Actually, consider if your daughter ever travels to India: will that be awkward?

Of course, I don't know anything about you and have no idea if you are Caucasian or have been to India or anything. I'm just putting this out there because I think everyone thinking about using India should consider these things. (I would say the same thing to people using China, Kenya, Zaire or whatever...but India is more trendy/popular than those as far as I've seen.)

Quote Originally Posted by loisvs View Post
    There was a thread on here a while back where someone from Indian background expressed a lot of hurt and offence about Caucasians using the name India.
    I don't remember that one O_o But there was definitely a big argument and I agree that the OP should search for past threads. We don't need to rehash it again here.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I really like India Wren!!! Keep it!! India is a lovely name and the nn Indie is just adorable!
    Some other suggestions
    India Lark
    India Winter
    India Snow
    India Juniper
    India Jane
    India Summer
    India Juliet
    India Maeve
    India June
    India Fleur
    India May