Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WDYT: Alyss?

Maybe it's just me but I want to say it like ay liss, maybe because I switch the position of the l and y when I read it. I think alice is prettier and more clear, and if there's a simpler, accepted spelling and a more unusual, less obvious spelling the clearer one should be used, except when there's an ethnic/familial reason to pick the other.

If you are going to solicit advice on a website, don't get offended when people have opinions you don't agree with. You asked. It's just so immature and silly. Alyss looks mispelled and rather teen-momish. My humble opinion and you asked.

There's a series of books, the Looking Glass Wars, that are a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, and the heroine is called Alyss.

I think it's quite a nice alternate spelling. If you're worried about people thinking it's silly, maybe go for Alyssa as the full name and call her 'Alyss' for short.
    Current favourite girls names: Verity, Eden, Cliora, Antonia, Morwen, Catriona, Dervla, Colette, Sorcha, Tahlia, Lucina, Vita (as name or short for Victoria), Zabet (as name or short for Elizabeth), Nina, Kylara, Zelda, Sabine, Eliska, Zelina

Check out my fantasy/sci-fi girls names list, you'll be surprised how 'normal' they can be! http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/29858

I think one may fall into problems with spelling, because the person would have to repeat every time that it was spelled Alyss with a y and two s's, which would be a pain. Alyce is the closest spelling that most people know of, so it would be the closest to Alyss and probably wouldn't be as much of a problem. I love the name as well, because, lets face it, I don't think the name Alice ever gets old! It's a wearable classic that sounds great on just about anybody.
    XOXO Whillemina
    Crazy and Happy Name-Obsessed Teen
    Faves
    Kirrily, Rosalind, Tamsin, Josephine

wait, the pn is ay liss?
    okay, in that case, i'm not much of a fan, but I see the appeal. It's kind of irish sounding and has a soft quality that is very feminine. I think it could work as an option, but spelling would still be rather difficult.
    XOXO Whillemina
    Crazy and Happy Name-Obsessed Teen
    Faves
    Kirrily, Rosalind, Tamsin, Josephine