Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WDYT: Alyss?

I call my friend Alice "Alyze" and "Alyss", so I'd say go for it.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Noah (29-5-10), Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~ Ianto Lior~

To me, it looks like Alyssa without the "a", so I'd pronounce it uh-liss. If I knew the parents were pronouncing it like Alice, I'd assume they were going for a creative spelling.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I'm another one who thinks it looks like someone forgot the last "a" on Alyssa. If I'm not thinking about that, it really does looks like a "creative" spelling of Alice. Either way, Alyss doesn't look good to me.

I know that she will end up having to spell the name for people but unfortunately that's just the way things are now. Because there are so many different spelling of names today that it's almost impossible not to have this problem. My own name is fairly strait forward, Lindsey. But I've always been asked to spell it out because there are Lindsay's, Lynsey's, Linzy's and Linsie's out there and don't get me started on my maiden name. As a child I was constantly spelling it out to anyone who didn't know me.
    I would prefer to have the name pronounced the same as the traditional Alice but if it really comes down to it if it does end up being pronounced uh-liss like Alyssa without the ending A its not the end of the world. How horrible is it to be named Alyss after the adorable little flowers of the Alyssum plant.
    But this is what I'm talking about though, "sounds little prissy and mean, like a school bully." Really?! I know everyone has their own personal experiences to draw their own opinions from but to label a name as bully material seems a little harsh and presumptive. Give the name a chance guys!
    Last edited by memitao; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by memitao View Post
    But this is what I'm talking about though, "sounds little prissy and mean, like a school bully." Really?! I know everyone has their own personal experiences to draw their own opinions from but to label a name as bully material seems a little harsh and presumptive. Give the name a chance guys!
    People will always have opinions about names. Should they not be shared unless they're positive? The poster said that it sounds like it would be those things, not "OMG, Alyss is going to be the school bully because her name suckssss and no one is gonna like her!" Not everyone has positive associations with every name. It's good for people to know what type of associations are had with each name.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly