Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Classic, accessible names that I can see on a little boy with few to no problems
    Aaron
    Alastair
    Benjamin
    Caleb
    Charles
    Damon
    Eoin (may want to consider Owen if you live in the US, but I’m a sucker for the Eoin spelling!)
    Francis
    Gabriel
    Ivan
    Julian
    Kieran
    Leopold
    Lucas
    Luke
    Nathaniel
    Rupert
    Ruben
    Sebastian
    Seth
    Tristan
    Vincent
    William
    Xander

More unusual, but still very usable

Alaric
    Alejandro
    Armando
    Carlisle
    Cassius
    Demetrius – I went to school with a few Demetri’s, so this name doesn’t seem like a stretch to me, but it might depend on where you live.
    Edwyn – I prefer the spelling Edwin, which would stick it in the classic category for me.
    Ilyas – Is this pronounced the same as Elias? If so, Elias would be more user friendly.
    Julius
    Lucien
    Lyall
    Roman
    Sergey
    Vladimir
    Xavier

Would give me pause, but the right boy might pull it off

Agenor
    Apollo
    Ares
    Calix
    Cobalt
    Emyr
    Gable
    Lemuel
    Lysander
    Lyros
    Minos
    Perseus
    Sachin
    Santiago
    Silviu
    Vasiliy

Passable as funky middle names only;

Dionysus
    Jupiter
    Mars
    Mordecai
    Xerxes

Just say no
    Cain
    Epaphus
    Eros – Would you want to be named after the messenger of love during your teenage years?
    Galahad
    Gawain
    Hades
    Heracles
    Io – A feminine name, whose unfortunate bearer was turned into a cow
    Lithium – Chemistry lessons would be awful for this kid
    Marquis – I find overt title names such as Marquis, Princess, Duke, etc. pretentious.
    Mordred – Bit Disney villanish
    Polydeuces – You drop a deuce. Poly means many…
    Scorpio
    Priapus – Keep reading this as Papyrus
    Raiden – I just really don’t like this name
    Sarpedon

The rest I’m ambivalent on.
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

I find it funny why Hades is unpopular and Persephone is popular (love both names though), as they are in the same legend.

@tfzolghadr - I'm not where near living in the US and I'll never move there, so for it might be better using the Lemuel name, though not on a danish kid. And I am now going to sound like a dumb teen, but who is Matt Damon? I guess he is someone from the TV, but I'm much more into books. The Lady Gaga connection I can't see at all, might be because she's not big here and I've hardly heard the name Alejandro. I don't like the spelling Owen, I love Eoin. And as I'm still not from US, I don't see any problem in it. I like Roman, it honors my friends from Ukraine as I wouldn't like naming the little guy Aleksander or Artjom.

@Otttilie - I honestly don't pronounce the name in Danish, reallly, I have a hard time even saying my brothers names correctly and that's Phillip, so how it works in Danish is nothing I care about. ^^ I love A names, and Arion is gorgeous! But I'm afraid of giving it to a child, who'll end up with a last name starting with an A. Having the intials es (ace) made me crazy, when I went to kindergarden and elementary school. I know the weirdness of Aaron, but I've always been sooo in love with that name (+ Aiden, but of various of reason it's not going on the list again). I don't know the lokomotivfører story, I think I read more.. ugh... Goosebumps (I think that's the English name). Oh I forgot to mention that I have Aries on my unisex list, so I'm quite keen on using it!

@Iamamiam - I like Thane, thus I think of a guy going on a killing spree (Why, I have no idea).And I don't care if the historic person was violent. Alaric is a pretty name and a boy could make it his own.

@Novaberry - I can't use the name Elias, since my (no longer) aunt named her son that. It's really sad, because I love that name and that spelling, but we don't have any contact with this woman whatsoever, because of her tearing us apart. So I think Ilyas is better.
    Last edited by lyraslife; June 29th, 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot to answer.
    Proud Auntie/cousin to;
    Silke (23-8-11), Sophia (18-11-11), Victoria (13-8-13) & Hopefully little Alex (due Dec!)

Dagmar Selene ~ Lystra Science ~ Linde Harriet ~ Oswald Seth ~ Laurel Bellamy ~

I think Hades is less popular than Persephone because;

1. He is the god of the underworld, and therefore associated with death, which people don't want to think about when naming their new baby. Persephone is his consort, but she was taken to the the underworld against her will, which makes her more sympathetic. She was also acknowledged as beautiful, which is still an attractive trait for parents of daughters.

2. Hades is a harsher, more sinister sound than Persephone. Soft, romantic sounding girls names like Persephone always have a following.

3. In the Disney film 'Hercules', Hades was a comical, inept villian. Nobody wants a comical, inept villian for a son.

4. Parents are generally more willing to be experimental with girls' names than boys' names. Hades just might be too far out to consider for the (generally) more conservative audience. Persephone, despite being equally far out, has a more generally accepting audience in the first place (i.e. the parents of girl). However, I'm willing to bet there are still very few parents who actually call their daughter Persephone when all said and done, however much it is liked on a naming board.
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

Would Work:
    Aaron
    Alastair
    Benjamin
    Caleb
    Cassius (borderline, maybe Cassian is better?)
    Charles
    Damon
    Edwyn (spelled Edwin)
    Gabriel
    Gawain (borderline)
    Ivan
    Kieran
    Lucas
    Luke
    Lyall (spelled Lyle)
    Mordecai
    Nathaniel
    Perseus (This one's a little iffy, but I think Percy would be cute as a nickname and would work)
    Raiden
    Roman
    Ruben (Rueben would be better)
    Sebastian
    Seth
    Tristan
    William
    Xander
    Xavier

Not So Much:
    Agenor
    Alaric
    Alejandro
    Apollo
    Arcas
    Ares
    Armando
    Cain - biblical bad guy, not the best idea. Murderer. Maybe Cainon?
    Calix
    Carlisle - not too bad
    Cobalt
    Deandre
    Demetrius
    Dionysus
    Emyr
    Eoin
    Epaphus
    Erebus
    Eros
    Eryx
    Francis
    Gable - only met girls with this name
    Galahad
    Gwynfor
    Hades - um...kind of mean to give a child in my opinion
    Helios
    Heracles
    Ilyas
    Io
    Julian
    Julius
    Jupiter
    Lemuel
    Leopold - a really awful former king of belgium, he did a lot of bad stuff to a lot of people
    Lithium
    Lucien
    Lyros
    Lysander - not awful
    Marquis
    Mars
    Minos
    Mordred
    Polydeuces
    Priapus
    Rupert
    Sachin