Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DH and the ongoing baby name fight.

With my son we fought so much over a boys' name that I finally decided it wasn't up for discussion anymore. (We chose not to know if we were having a boy or girl but settled on a girls' name very quickly.) Finally about 3-4 wks before he was born we agreed on a name and dh picked the middle name, which I don't care for, but whatever, we had a name and that was fine. (Tanner James. There is no one named James in our family. He just thought "TJ" would be a good nn if he wanted to use it.)

While we were ttc I had the name "Luke" in my head. I pretty much meditated on it - visualizing "Luke" as a real baby who would come to be if I just kept my eyes on the prize. So we're pregnant, due 5/2014. Obviously I fully believe this baby is a boy and his name is Luke. But if it's a girl I've settled on Lila. I've told dh I'm not discussing names with him AT ALL. I know he'll say no to both names - just because he turned down every name I came up with last time. And he can't just say, "No, I don't like that." He has to be offensive, "That's dumb." I harshly judged women in the past who said, "It's my body. I carried the baby. I'm naming him/her." But that's how I feel right now.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with your husband and agreeing on names. I have no stories to compare to yours but I wish you good luck in finding a name you and your husband love. BTW, Tanner and Luke sound great together, as well as Tanner and Lila

I feel for you. My husband and I both have a list of names we like, but of course we don't like the names on each other's lists. It was really a miracle that we agreed on and both really love our daughter's name. Lord help us if we have another girl though. One of us would probably be disappointed.
    I think your strategy is probably the right course for now. There's no sense in arguing. You have a while to just relax and take care of yourself. When it gets closer to your due date maybe just calmly explain how you came to the name Luke and how special it is to you (if its even a boy) and hopefully he'll understand. Just don't stress right now, keep visualizing positive reactions from your husband. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but there is little we can do to change others. Best of luck!

Oh I just thought of something. On another thread the mentioned how we tend to start liking names we have been exposed to over and over again. Maybe you could watch Star Wars with him or other movies with characters named Luke and he'll start liking it. Lol, idk.

In my experience guys usually do like Luke for the Star Wars connection. Unless he grew up with a kid named Luke who he HATED he will probably be okay with it if you approach it tactfully & not try to force the name down his throat.
    New username is @ truenature