Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Myrtle: opinions beyond Harry Potter character

I really love girl name Myrtle but there is a lot talking on Internet that the name is an example of awful old-fashioned names. I can't understand these words, in my opinion it's a really pretty and sophisticated name which can work with nickname Myra/Mira.
    Also, some friends who were told that I love Myrtle said they only can think of Harry Potter character. That's quite strange to me because I either think of The Great Gatsby or a beautiful tree.
    Do you also think this name has only terrible feel and better lay covered with the time dust? Would you change your opinion if you met a cure baby Myrtle? I am interested to get your thoughts.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student

Constance TabithaSibyl JemimaTheodoraRamona ? ?
    ? Rupert Otis Grover ??Ignatius Robin

My view is a little biased as I went to school with a Myrtle so I quite like it I just see it as another clunky vintage name that's starting coming back in fashion- like Wilfred or Ethel. I can see why people dislike it -loads of consonants and not a particularly attractive sound- but I'd like to hear of more Myrtles
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Thanks! I didn't expect to get any positive replies, honestly. I agree, I would also like to meet a few little Myrtles.
    ● Olympia ● Literature Student

Constance TabithaSibyl JemimaTheodoraRamona ? ?
    ? Rupert Otis Grover ??Ignatius Robin

I like Myrtle, it's one of those so clunky it's cool names. I think of the plant first, which is very pretty with so many good associations (love and peace among them). The Harry Potter character is annoying, but not so well known it should be a problem.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Myrtle rhymes with turtle. I honestly think that's why people are turned off by it.