Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I found a really good reason NOT to use my favorite name...

My favorite name, which I've been wanting to call my daughter for a long time, is Milena (I've been pronouncing it as "mil-LAY-na"), nn Millie. But, yesterday I found out that a nearly identical word, Melena, is the name for black, tarry poop! Oh no! I can't even say Milena now without thinking about that. Is it ruined? Can anyone offer some similar alternatives?

I would use Mila as A nicknamed .. Not Millie

I kind of wish something like that would happen to me, because DH hates all my favorites
    Maddox (Max) James 08.31.13.

Boys Favourites: Holden, Theron (Theo), Aidan, Killian

Girls Favourites: Rosalie, Lucy, Lyra, Isla

Erm, in what language? I've never heard that before. Besides, Milena is a strong, beautiful name, and I don't think anyone (or at least, very few!) will think of that when they think of Milena, especially with the sweet nn Millie. Maybe you could search for another name that would yield Millie, if Milena just doesn't work for you anymore? I think Amelie, Camilla, Romilly, etc., with the nn Millie, is adorable. Or even Emilia/Amelia or Emmeline...
    Lise
    twenty-something name lover dreaming of adoption.

Isabelle | Arianne | Olivia | Violet | Catherine | Emmeline | Lillian | Charlotte | Eleni | Anne-Sophie | Tess | Eva | Winter | Hazel
    Caleb | Everett | Jack | Avery | Zane | Samuel | Grant | Declan | Brody | Bailey | Addison | Leo | Grayson

"Ma patrie, c’est la langue française." - Albert Camus

The other word is pronounced mil-eh-na, not mi-lay-na.