Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How concerned are you about teasing?

I keep hearing that kids today are so used to so many different kinds of names that name teasing doesn't happen as much anymore. I'm still a little worried. The top 2 names for our boy are both names of fictional characters (Linus and Felix), as are many of the names I've liked. Names of characters like Oscar, Olivia, or Angelina don't seem to keep people from using them. But then, you'd be hard-pressed to find a little Kermit or Grover. Why are these deemed unusable? I'd [like to] think a little Clifford or Arthur would fit in nicely on the playground, but you rarely see them. I'd love some insight. Especially from teachers or parents that have used names that are ripe for teasing.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

Most kids today don't know who Linus (our Charlie Brown, even!) is. I'm 25 and can't figure out what fictional character Felix refers to. I do actually know a little Arthur, and no one really associates his name with the aardvark.

I think most of the name teasing we worry about isn't likely to happen. And even if a loud has a teasable name, often whether that kid is teased depends on his/her personality. An easy-going, charismatic kid can handle being named Harry Baals better than a timid, socially-awkward kid. At least that's what I've seen from the names and people around me.

I've heard some bizarre names, but usually the kids don't bat an eye, it's the adults who comment on the name, and part of me wonders whether kids with bizarre names would be teased at all if the adults were as open-minded as the kids around them.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Felix could refer to Felix the Cat, Felix Unger from the Odd Couple (old TV show/movie), or Fix-It-Felix from Wreck-It-Ralph and I've heard there is a potion in Harry Potter called Felix (but I haven't read/seen it).
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman

As a 7th grade teacher and my husband a 6th grade teacher, we've never had students pick on one another for their name. They are more likely to make fun of someone because of their looks, mannerisms or character. I know that sounds awful, but it's true!

This is from my experience as a substitute teacher: Kids are not going to be teased for having a "weird" name in this day and age. There is more diversity now then when we (or our parents or grandparents) were kids, plus parents are just choosing less common names in general. Kids don't know what a "weird" name is. Kids may be teased for having a name that's associated with something else (like a cartoon character, etc.) or if their name rhymes with something funny or inappropriate. A little Bart, for example, may get teased for having a name that sounds like fart. The Simpson's isn't as popular as it once was, so that association wouldn't matter as much, especially when he's younger. You're safe with Linus and Felix because kids don't know who they are. A little Oscar would be more likely to be teased because Sesame Street is still popular and, well, every kid is grouchy sometimes. It just invites a joke. That being said, I have known an Oscar or 2 and it didn't seem to be a big deal for them. Like another commenter mentioned, the kid's personality is a factor, too. Olivia, Arthur, etc. are okay because they have always been popular enough among "real" people that they aren't strictly tied to the character. I imagine Kermit and Grover are practically unheard of, not only because of the Muppet association, but because the names just don't fit well with modern sensibilities. They just aren't the most attractive names out there.