Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pronounciation issues?

Just recently discovered the names Linnea and Davina, think they're both great but I'm not sure of the proper pronunciations and I'm pretty sure I've been saying them wrong in my mind

How is Linnea pronounced? I've been saying it as 'lyn-ee-a' but I think that might be wrong, would it be acceptable even if it's not the traditional pronunciation?

How is Davina pronounced? I've been going with 'dav-een-a' but again I'm not sure

Any suggestions names with a similar vibe to these two?

What middle names would you use for each (just for fun)?
    Number 1 Aunty to one adorable ray of sunshine Rosalee Jillian 'Rosie'/'Roe'
    Cousin & Godmother to the delightful Erica Marisol 'Eri'/'Ricki'
    & Godmother to Sadie Bryn 'Bean' & honorary aunt to Molly Maeve Tuesday 'Molly Dolly'!

I know a woman name Linnea, she pronounces her name Lin-nay-ah, but that doesn't mean it's the correct pronunciation.

I think Davina is pronunced dah-vee-nuh.
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Davina is definitely Dav-EE-na.

Linnea I think is from Carl Linnaeus the botanist, and as far as I know because of the Scandinavian origin is Lin-NAY-uh.

I think there's probably an argument that in an English speaking environment you could say it LIN-ee-a but then it just sounds like linear!

As stated above, Linnea can be pronounced both as "Lin-AY-uh" and "LIN-ee-uh." I lean towards the former pronunciation but really like them both. (Actually, after reading what vch23 said about the word 'linear', I definitely like the first one more.)

As for Davina, I believe you are correct in Dav-EE-nuh.

For me, I would probably go with something like Linnea Lark and Davina Skye. Because, lately, I am loving fun middles.

Linnea is pronounced LEE-ne-ah (I speak Swedish and Norwegian).
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]