Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Leila, Leela, Lela?

I recently learned of my great-great-aunt Leela, the woman who helped raise my grandfather and his three siblings after my great-grandmother passed away when he was only four.

I would really like to consider the name, either as a first or middle name for a future DD, however I'm confused by the spelling. I don't want her to have to explain that, no, her name is not Layla (lay-lah) but Leela (Lee-lah).

Which spelling is the "correct" spelling and which would you be inclined to pronounce lee-lah?

Leila
    Leela
    Lela
    Leyla

Am I missing one?
    Writer of The Mod Podge Bookshelf, author of some books, lover of sticky notes and names!

Current favorite girls: Aluma, Beatrix, Dinah, Elizabeth, Felicity, Esther, Glory, Gwendolyn, Helena, Isobel, Jemima, Lucelia, Marigold, Ophelia, River, Rose, Tigerlily & Zora!

Current favorite boys: Carsten, Caspian, Damian, Gideon, Harker, Henry, Jonah, Laughlin, Leo, Maximus & Zephan!

I would pronounce Leela "lee-lah". Lela (and Lila) could be pronounce "Lie-lah" Leyla, Leila, or Layla look more like "lay-lah" to me.

Also, I love the story behind the name. Such a gorgeous namesake!
    tea drinker + cat lover + ever-evolving baker+cook...positive realist who loves beautiful words, names, and images.

Feel free to ask me about Sanskrit-based names.

Quote Originally Posted by jyoti View Post
    I would pronounce Leela "lee-lah". Lela (and Lila) could be pronounce "Lie-lah" Leyla, Leila, or Layla look more like "lay-lah" to me.

Also, I love the story behind the name. Such a gorgeous namesake!
    My thoughts exactly.
    Previous account: elrock13

Welcoming my new baby sister or brother in February!

Leela. I'd say all the others differently.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Leela is spelled phonetically so I don't think you'll have any problem if you use this spelling. (My sister's name is Leila pronounced "lay-la" but some people pronounce this spelling "lie-la".)
    Cassia | Phoebe | Emmeline | Matilda | Oona | Sylvie | Dahlia | Rosalind | Vivienne | Miranda
    Milo | Emmett | Sebastian | Theodore | Lucian | Rafferty | Matteo | Vincent | Donovan | Wesley