Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Benjamin

29 60.42%
  • Benedict

19 39.58%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    It's fine outside of the US, Catholic or otherwise. I don't even have any clue as to what Benedict Arnold actually did. O_o
    LOL. This is why (and meaning no disrespect to anyone at all), I'd ask around in your local community before using Benedict. This connotation only applies to Americans, and it has made this name quite taboo in the US for a long time. However, I think it's lessening over time... and only applies among those who know their American history.

To answer the question, Benedict Arnold was a high-ranking general in the American Revolution. He was in charge of West Point, and was going to hand it over to the British... However, the plan was foiled and he defected to the British Army, and proceeded to fight against the American forces as a British general. As you can imagine, a high-ranking general doing this is QUITE taboo. So, 'Benedict Arnold' became a synonym for 'traitor' or 'turn-coat'. When I was a child (I'm 28), we used it in daily speech... like your friend betrays you in a game, and you accuse them of being "a Benedict Arnold" (every even semi-educated American should know this story from history class). Perhaps times are changing? So the debate among Americans would be whether current positive associations (i.e. the pope) are enough to overcome the stigma attached to the name in the U.S. with Benedict Arnold.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    Same. I'm seeing his name everywhere recently- I think he was a traitor or something? Perhaps the English equivalent would be calling your son Guy
    I don't even think the connection is that strong. We don't have Benedict Arnold Day It's not like Benedict Arnold is constantly brought back to the forefront of American consciousness. It's just a bit idiomatic. Kids learn about Arnold in school, and the only thing he is known for is being a traitor. Since his name is uncommon the association is stronger.

It's like naming your child Wilkes because of John Wilkes Booth. People know the name, it's probably not the first and only thing everyone would think of, but there is a connection.

Honestly, I think the eggs benedict connection would put me off more, as much as I love the name and the meaning.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
    It's like naming your child Wilkes because of John Wilkes Booth. People know the name, it's probably not the first and only thing everyone would think of, but there is a connection.
    Ah, now I know who he was

Thanks for filling us foreigners in guys!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I love love love Benjamin. (my father's and brother's name) I even love it for a girl...Benjamein. (Benzhameen). nn Benjie. I like the name Benedict, but you know how crude Jr. high boys can be. I would be afraid they would call him dick to tease him.