Names Searched Right Now:

Red face Alavi - trickiest surname in the world?

Excited to be expecting our first child (sex unknown) but at a complete stalemate for girl and boy names. I am Australian and my husband Persian so names need to be simple enough to pronounce in both languages. Nothing too Persian and nothing too Aussie. Classic, sophisticated, no crazy spelling as I spend my life doing this already with our surname.

I love names like Olivia, Ava and Sophia which break naming 'rules' such as first name last letter/surname first letter and 3 & 3 syllables. And they are in the top girls name lists to boot... ( being a Rebecca I was always in a class of 2 or 3 other Rebecca's but don't meet many now that I am older, so not sure whether this is a good thing or bad thing being in the popular name list).

Boys names are trickier still... We both like the name Cyrus but don't like the Persian pronouciation of Si-Roos (which btw is my father in laws name).

I love the sound of my surname but it feels like the trickiest surname in the world to find a suitable match for... Plus the old baby brain is making me extra indecisive. Would love your opinion!!

Congratulations! I think Alavi is a beautiful, melodic ln. I tried to find some suggestions that have Persian influences and also names similar to the ones you listed (I would avoid a name with starting with a vowel and containing a v in it, Ava Alavi and Olivia Alavi are tongue twisters to me, that's why Ivy and Eve are not on this list). Flow is a little tricky b/c you're ln starts w/ a and so many girls names end in a, but I don't think that's as big of a deal. I'm not sure how well some of these names work in Persian, but I hope you find something you like!

Alice
    Allegra
    Adira
    Amabel
    Annabel
    Antonia
    Beatrice
    Caroline
    Celeste
    Cora
    Clio
    Cyra
    Daria
    Eleanor
    Eliza
    Esme
    Flora
    Gemma
    Georgia
    Helena
    Iris
    Isa
    Julia/Juliet
    Leila
    Lucy
    Nora
    Parisa
    Petra
    Rosetta
    Roxana
    Sadira
    Sasha
    Saskia
    Serena
    Sybil
    Tess/a
    Thea
    Willa
    Vivian
    Yasmin
    Zarina
    Zara
    Last edited by kashed22; June 26th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

How about Marjane? Like Marjane Satrapi, author of Persepolis.

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hanniabej View Post
    How about Marjane? Like Marjane Satrapi, author of Persepolis.
    I think this an English version of Marjan - pronounced Marjohn - a beautiful name which belongs to 4 of my adult friends. Very popular which makes things confusing when referring to one or the other!

Thank you for the suggestion - I think my Persian family would think I have misspelt the name & pronounce it the way they know how!

Thanks again!! Appreciate the thought...