Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Elke/Elka vs Elodie?

For a while I have been loving Elodie Isis if our next baby is a girl. But is Elodie going to become popular? That's already happened with Mila and I'm not keen to see our next baby's name rise meteorically in the years after we choose it! I am from New Zealand and our name charts more closely resemble the UK's than the US's, and Elodie was #260 there in 2011 (http://www.babynamewizard.com/the-to...land-and-wales), possibly higher now with all the attention El- names are getting.

Yesterday I rediscovered Elke on my long list and can't stop thinking about it. Is it useable? We would pronounce it El-kah. Is Elka a real spelling, or just a phonetic version? Is Elke too similar in sound to Mila?
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

Don't like Elka, I find Elke meh. Don't think Elka is real spelling, but may be more hippy.

I don't think Elodie would rise. It's barely popular on nameberry. I love Elodie Isis more than Luna or Sylvia combos.
    If Elodie climb, you can call her Isis?
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I love the idea of Mila & Elka!

Elka is gorgeous and absolutely a legit spelling, its a nickname for Elzbieta and since Mila is also a nickname name (in some cultures, I know it stands alone in others, I have a feeling Elka may be similar). I think they're a perfect pair.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13

I think Elodie's lack of popularity on nameberry is because of the number of US members and also that name stats are based on the US. Like I said, naming trends in NZ are much closer to the UK than US.
    Not sure about switching over to a middle name a few years after the birth. I cannot imagine suddenly deciding to call Mila "Arden", for example. It's just not her (first) name.

@ lineska, thanks for that info. Good to know Elka is a legitimate spelling, I think I am leaning towards that more than Elke.