Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Elke/Elka vs Elodie?

For a while I have been loving Elodie Isis if our next baby is a girl. But is Elodie going to become popular? That's already happened with Mila and I'm not keen to see our next baby's name rise meteorically in the years after we choose it! I am from New Zealand and our name charts more closely resemble the UK's than the US's, and Elodie was #260 there in 2011 (http://www.babynamewizard.com/the-to...land-and-wales), possibly higher now with all the attention El- names are getting.

Yesterday I rediscovered Elke on my long list and can't stop thinking about it. Is it useable? We would pronounce it El-kah. Is Elka a real spelling, or just a phonetic version? Is Elke too similar in sound to Mila?
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas Bram, Abel Octavian, Abel Roscoe
    Lyra Blythe, Delphi Winter, Elowen Sage, Inka Blythe, Anouk Thessaly

Don't like Elka, I find Elke meh. Don't think Elka is real spelling, but may be more hippy.

I don't think Elodie would rise. It's barely popular on nameberry. I love Elodie Isis more than Luna or Sylvia combos.
    If Elodie climb, you can call her Isis?
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I love the idea of Mila & Elka!

Elka is gorgeous and absolutely a legit spelling, its a nickname for Elzbieta and since Mila is also a nickname name (in some cultures, I know it stands alone in others, I have a feeling Elka may be similar). I think they're a perfect pair.

Quote Originally Posted by lineska View Post
    I love the idea of Mila & Elka!

Elka is gorgeous and absolutely a legit spelling, its a nickname for Elzbieta and since Mila is also a nickname name (in some cultures, I know it stands alone in others, I have a feeling Elka may be similar). I think they're a perfect pair.
    This is where I stand, too.

I'm in Australia and I think Elodie is on the rise here, too. I know a few around the 2-4 age group, and there are two Elodies in my nephew's kindergarten class!

I like the crispness of Elka. I also think Elodie is one of those names that looks prettier than it sounds...or, perhaps, sounds a lot prettier in its native French pronunciation than when it's being butchered by antipodean accents!

@ ottilie that is interesting, kind of what I suspected was happening in the UK.

@ mandapantalones, I don't watch The Hills but I know the show. It seems even more unusual that someone of that age group would be called Elodie in the US.
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas Bram, Abel Octavian, Abel Roscoe
    Lyra Blythe, Delphi Winter, Elowen Sage, Inka Blythe, Anouk Thessaly