Names Searched Right Now:
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Has anybody mentioned Hayden yet? I think Hayden would be awesome on a girl, and I think Rowan and Hayden look good together.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysessha View Post
    This afternoon I randomly thought of Wendell for you, knowing your penchant for W's. It strikes me as quite unisex: soft and lovely on a boy, or smooth and chic on a girl, like a more willowy Kendall. I think it could work in the South, and I love the "wanderer" meaning.

I think all the drama that pops up on your threads is just strange. Cross-gender names are not my personal taste at all, but I love the opportunity to understand a different perspective and stretch my own limits. I find the whole challenge of looking for a name so far outside my own criteria to be quite invigorating.

I think people react strongly and defensively to what hits close to home for them...at least that was my experience with cross-gender names, having a negative experience with one myself. I've come to a point where I assume the people who so vehemently oppose a certain style probably have an underlying personal reason for it (even if they can't articulate that reason to themselves) rather than taking their harsh words at face value. As Otter says, it helps me keep calm and carry on
    I think the same thing. There must be an underlying issue if someone feels the need to HATE another person's personal preferences/choices. I mean, I dislike uber trendy names but I've never let it affect me so much that I HATED it or thought less of the parents for choosing that name. I have good friends with kids named Kylee and Kenzie, and Shaniyah. And I still love my friends. It's just their style. Or maybe they hate it because it's a modern trend with celebrities? Kind of like an "anti trend" thing, like no one wants to admit they like a Justin Bieber song. I'm not sure, I like what I like and no one is going to make me feel bad for liking a certain naming style.

Oh, and Wendell is a very good idea but I know too many unpleasant old men named Wendell to consider it.
    Last edited by rowangreeneyes; July 1st, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Has anyone suggested 'Bronte'? I'm embarrassed to admit how much I love the Bronte sisters (so boring, right?). Also, I came across a Hebrew name today that is a boy's name but I think would be perfect for a girl - Simcha. It means "celebratory joy", which is also lovely IMO.

p.s. I am sorry @ how so many people feels free to bash your naming style. BUT I am so glad that you are willing to stand up for yourself and continue on.
    tea drinker + cat lover + ever-evolving baker+cook...positive realist who loves beautiful words, names, and images.

Feel free to ask me about Sanskrit-based names.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    The term "cyber bullying" is defined as "over time, and includes (but is not limited to): mean, nasty or threatening...messages...that are sent directly to a person or others via...the internet" (Pearce, Cross, Monks, Waters & Falconer, 2011, sited in Australian Institute of Family Studies, Definitions and Characteristics of Cyber Bullying). You can read the longer definition on their website (http://www.aifs.gov.au/cfca/pubs/papers/a141868/03.html).

I'd say this definitely applies in RGE's situation.

I'm a high school teacher and understand cyber bullying is extremely serious. I find your inference that because RGE is on this site of her own free will, she should either accept being bullied or stop starting threads/leave the site. Are you saying a high school student who is on Facebook of their own free should just shut down their profile/turn off their computer if they're being cyber bullied? How is that fair? Forcing someone off Nameberry is hardly fair. If people have a problem with her threads, they should ignore them, not accuse her of trolling and belittle her opinions in a nasty manner. As stated above, that's the exact definition of cyber bullying.

Not all people who are being bullied are forced into that position. Particularly with cyber bullying, almost everyone has the power to turn off their computer and walk away. However, if you know anything at all about cyber bullying, you'll know it's extremely difficult to walk away from. It's also extremely unfair to tease someone mercilessly until they give up and stop using a particular website. I understand why RGE says she feels bullied and I'm appalled that she feels this way on this site.

Honestly, I don't want this to turn into a massive thing, but I hope people can be more understanding of her and everyone else on this site in the future.

@RGE - I'm so sorry your thread has come to this. I was going to ignore this post, but elizabethrose is so incredibly out of line with her comments, I couldn't let it slip by.
    Thank you for explaining this. I do feel slightly bullied, but I'm an adult and I can handle some snarky comments online. I can deal with criticism, but sometimes the angry criticism is not warranted and it can rub me the wrong way. I really like most everyone on Nameberry and I just want to be part of the community without being constantly criticized about my naming style.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.