Names Searched Right Now:

The meaning of Halle

Nameberry only lists Halle as a diminutive of Harold, but other sites claim her meaning as "Heroine".

I consider nameberry a trusted source... Are the other sites wrong?
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

I consider Behindthename.com my most trusted name site for factual meaings and etymology. They say:

Halle -- Male -- Norse -- From the Old Norse name Halli, a diminutive of names containing the element hallr meaning "rock".

And from their site it says Halle Barry (spelled wrong there) was named for a department store.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Halle is originally a Norse boys name meaning 'rock'. I like it but had to give it up because I struggle to pronounce it the correct way.

Edit:: Haha, yeah. What Dantea said
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    I consider Behindthename.com my most trusted name site for factual meaings and etymology. They say:

Halle -- Male -- Norse -- From the Old Norse name Halli, a diminutive of names containing the element hallr meaning "rock".

And from their site it says Halle Barry (spelled wrong there) was named for a department store.
    All of this. I don't trust Nameberry's meanings....
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Since in English Halle is mostly a form of Hallie, which is a nickname, I guess the meaning would depend of what the original full name was.

For example, Hallie is usually a a diminutive of Harriet — ultimately from the Germanic name Heinrich, "home+ruler". If you see it as short of Halldora ("Thor's rock") or Halcyon ("kingfisher bird") or Haroldine ("army leader"), the meaning would vary accordingly.
    Bertrand -bertie-, Wilfred, Léon, Axel, Cuthbert -cubby-, Maxentius, Aubrey, Phoebus, John-Henry.
    Émilienne, Livia, Annabella -abbey-, Maud, Rosamund, Kimborough, Clemency, Elizabeth-Charlotte.