Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Started writing and the names don't fit.

If you saw my other thread, I'd settled on the sibset of Thirza, Simon and Keziah, and Thirza's daughter Jazmyn. But now I've started writing, I just don't think Thirza or Keziah fit any more. They're just a little too 'out there' for them. Simon I'm happy with, and Jazmyn I think is fine, though she's not been in it much yet.

Renaming Thirza: She's a teen mum, a runaway at 16 and was a tearaway before that, skipping school, drinking at 13, that sort of thing. I think she's the sort of person who would have gone by a boyish/tough sounding nickname, but not the conventional Samantha > Sam sort of thing, something a bit less common than that. A bit like Erica going by Ricky, but I've used Erica in another story for another character so not that name. Something that sounds rebellious, that she'd probably hate her first name. Ruth nn Rudy? Harriet nn Harry? Rachel nn Ray? Martha nn Marty? That's the sort of thing.

Renaming Keziah: She keeps demanding to be an Evie. Only problem is, she's 14. She would have been born in 1999, when Evie was given to just 267 UK babies. The name didn't start climbing rapidly until about 2004/5, and all the Evies I know are much younger than my character. I don't want it to seem like I'm giving her a name out of her time. Eve was given to 614 babies, a bit more popular, and Simon and Eve work well together. Evelyn hasn't taken off in the UK same as the US, just 95 babies in 1999, so that's off the table, and Eva was 183 babies.

What do you think of Eve nn Evie? She's into cooking, likes coming up with her own recipes and plays tennis competitively. She's in no way maternal and finds small children annoying.

So Simon, Eve nn Evie and a big sister with a rebellious sounding nickname - which one goes best? Or suggestions if there's any others you can think of.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

I like Martha (Marty) with Simon and Eve. I think they sound good as a sibset.
    Teen writer, pianist, sci-fi geek, cat-owner and name enthusiast.

Calvin Augustus ~ Matilda Josephine
    Roland | Walter | Alonzo | Orson | Beatrice | Elspeth | Agatha | Sunny
    Fitzgerald | Winston | Montgomery | Hugo | Clemency | Zelda | Astrid | Ophelia

Simon and Eve nn Evie sounds perfect. I'll list a few that might work for the main character!

Charlotte "Charlie"
    Matilda "Mattie"
    Miranda "Randy"
    Danielle "Dani or Danny"
    Josephine "Jo or Joey"

Charlie, Simon and Evie is my favorite, I think. Good luck naming!
    teenberry -- writer -- drama kid
    Current crushes (constantly changing):
    Girls: Thea, Aurelia, Rosalind, Rose, Rowena, Helena, Hermione, Carys, Clio, Cassia, Viola, Lily, Lila, Lucy, Seren, Maia, Mirabel.
    Boys: Miles, James, Jasper, Jude, Graham, Arthur, Oliver, Leo, Lewis, Wesley, Rory, Rowan, Caspian, Silas, Sebastian.

I'd go with: Francesca 'Frankie', Simon and Eve.

or

Antonia 'Tony', Simon and Eve.

or

Michaela 'Mike', Simon and Eve.
    Last edited by renrose; June 25th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Simon and Eve are nice together. I've used Danielle nn Dannie before. I like Renrose's suggestion of Francesca/Frankie, but I feel like Francis would be more fitting with Simon and Eve.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.