Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    It's not a personal favorite of mine, but I do like it and I totally get the appeal. I think people like it because:
    1. It's uncommon but familiar (currently at a 76 year high at #228,) a trait many parents look for in a name. It's unlikely that there will be multiple Genevieves in the school, but people won't think it's weird.
    2. It's got a sounds similar to popular names (Jenna, Jennifer, Jeanette, Eve, etc.) but it still stands out. You don't find many names with double v's and the -v ending.
    3. It follows several trends: the letter V, long and feminine, and French.
    4. It doesn't have any major negative associations: it's no Jemima or Cohen.
    5. Tons of nicknames!

So yeah, I totally get the love of Genevieve.

I love the name - especially the French way of saying it. It's a beautiful name and would be in my top 5 of choices except hubby doesn't like it at all...

It's got that old fashioned, vintage charm that's all the rage right now, it ages well, has a huge variety of nickname options, seems like an updated Jennifer to some...

Obviously it's personal taste, but it fits a lot of the trends right now
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires

I agree with all of the above--it's uncommon, vintage sounding, and elegant without being too over-the-top. Genevieve's my top name choice for a girl as well because I like to think think the "Eve" in it honors my grandmother Evelyn, who I never had the chance to meet. My initial plan was to call future-child "Evie" until I learned that Evie is becoming a popular name by itself here in Australia, but it also has a lot of other nickname options--like "Neve" which is great since my husband vetoed it as a name choice (shh, he hasn't worked this one out yet).
    Current favorites:
    Genevieve - Eloise - Rosalie - Cecelia - Adelaide - Felicity
    and
    Theodore - Oliver - Henry - Myles - Silas - Finn

1) It isn't popular, but is well known enough to be spelled correctly
    2) Both pronunciations are stunning.
    3) It has many good nicknames.
    4) Has history (French Saint's name)
    5) Could be a little girl in braids or an attorney at law.
    ~Mehri