28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Gus "Fox" is fine to use

11 39.29%
  • No, I don't think it works

17 60.71%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just Gus?

Just Gus?

I love Gus, and have for a long time. However, my problem lies in not liking any of the long forms. I can't stand August, and I'm not a fan of his variants - Augustus reminds me of Augustus Gloop from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I find Augustin/Augustine a bit on the pretentious side compared to my other boy favourites (Charlie, Oliver, Samuel...). The others - Gustav/o, Angus and Fergus I all find too ethnic to use for someone without Scottish/Scandanavian/Russian heritage.

I would happily use just Gus on its own, but next to my OH's short, one syllable surname, I'm not sure whether it works. Gus Anderson, for example, would give me no issues at all, but is Gus "Fox" unworkable?

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

It could work. Why not? Personally I'd rather give the child more options, but there are plenty of kids formally named Jack, Theo, and Sam. As for the syllable full name, it didn't hurt Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, or Jude Law.

Other full name options:
    Gaius
    Magnus
    Argus
    Ignatius
    Gratianus
    Gregorius
    Octavius
    Pelagius

or a "G--- ---us" first/middle combination; something like "George Atticus"?
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

Sorry, I just don't think it works with that surname, but it would've been fine otherwise.

Angus Fox would be amazing though! I don't think it's too 'ethnic' at all. I know an Angus whose parents aren't even Caucasian, let alone Scottish! And it's the English spelling of a Scottish name so I think it's fine

I don't think my OH would go for Angus anyway because of the Angus burgers. I do like the G-- ---us idea though, I have George on my list anyway and if I can find a suitable middle (I don't like Atticus much) it's a possibility. George "Fox" would probably work better than Gus "Fox" because although it's still one syllable it doesn't seem as short because of the spelling.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

Ah well! George Fox works much better though, I like that idea. Gus Fox was a bit too short and chop & change but George is audibly longer and smoother. So, for names enfing in 'us', there is:

Marcus
    Ludovicus
    Octavius
    Aurelius
    Tiberius
    Maximus
    Rufus
    Cassius
    Cyrus
    Darius
    Seamus
    Linus