Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A real life name story about easily-misunderstood names

A few nights ago, at a cocktail party, I was talking to a guy who I thought had introduced himself as Ryan. Didn't think much about it at the time. It was the noisy sort of party where you spend a lot of time shouting "what??" at each other. Anyways, I overheard Ryan introducing himself to someone else, and he said "It's Rhine...like the river." Well my ears perked up at that, and then he went on to spell it...turns out it's Rhyne. Irish, don't know the meaning, his parents got it from a baseball player for the Cubs (I think).

So I had to ask him, what's it like having such a unique and easily-misunderstood name?

"I love it, I wouldn't have it any other way," he said. "It's changed my life."

He went on to say how many conversations it's sparked, how those conversations have become friendships that might not have happened if curiosity had not been piqued. He said it's made him more easy-going (having to be OK with people constantly mispronouncing it), and able to speak up for himself (correcting others when needed). Of course, as he's had his name his entire life, these traits could have arisen from nature/nurture, but I thought it was so interesting that he attributed them directly to his name.

Just a little insight for those who are considering unique, personal, but easily-misunderstood names!
    Current favorites: Olive, Louise/Louisa, Magdalene/Madeline, Phillipa, Talitha, Mallory, Blythe, Eliza, Mercy, Talia; Calvin, Charles, Gideon, Abram, Jude, Reuben, George, Reid, Clark, Holden.

Interesting... but I don't think it's Irish.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

It's lovely story and shows how every name could be wearable, just with the right person.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

Very interesting take. I think it helps that he had that outside reference to fall back on: "Rhyne, like the river," (at least in sound.) Otherwise I can hear the conversation going much differently! Ryan without the A? Rind without the D?

Quote Originally Posted by r_j View Post
    Very interesting take. I think it helps that he had that outside reference to fall back on: "Rhyne, like the river," (at least in sound.) Otherwise I can hear the conversation going much differently! Ryan without the A? Rind without the D?
    Who knows?

Also, he could introduce himself as Ryan without A. What would be the problem?
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country