Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I know a 30 year old male Emerson, who goes by his full name (his mom calls him Emme sometimes). He is all male and wears his name very well.

Harper is a bit tricker, especially with the celeb attention it has.

But overall, I think it would be refreshing to see Harper, Ashley, Madison, or Kendall (I also know a 20 something male Kendall). All the names still have "masculine" sounds in them.
    Ladies
    Avery Catherine Lucille ~ Caroline Frances Emilia ~ Clarity Jessamine Leigh ~ Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Luna ~ Tessa Hermione Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Desmond William Beau ~ Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra Benjamin Rene ~ Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry ~ Whitney Samuel John

Wishing to be pregnant... but having to be responsible and wait for now :P

Quote Originally Posted by ruolan View Post
    Yes, I also knew a boy Ashley in the 90's and felt bad for him. So I feel for you but if the name is currently trending heavily for girls it is pretty burdensome. However, I'm really loving the idea of little boys named Ashley and Whitney now! Maybe I'm the cruel one...
    I LOVE Whitney on a boy. I actually don't like it at all for a girl, but on a boy = awesome.

I think people have been usurping too many historically male names for the girls - and girls have so many more options to begin with! I think when names go unisex that is a way of saying "eventually, boys with this name will be made fun of" and that isn't fair. As long as we keep these unisex names actually unisex then that won't happen! People just need to stop being afraid of giving their sons names they think are too "girl". That's how names like Ashley, Kelly, Carole, etc became "only girl" names to begin with. If parents had continued to name sons that as well we would still be calling them unisex names.
    Ladies
    Avery Catherine Lucille ~ Caroline Frances Emilia ~ Clarity Jessamine Leigh ~ Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Luna ~ Tessa Hermione Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Desmond William Beau ~ Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Ezra Benjamin Rene ~ Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry ~ Whitney Samuel John

Wishing to be pregnant... but having to be responsible and wait for now :P

I just started my own thread on Emerson so I'll be watching this one closely.

In answer to your question, I wouldn't be considering it for my bub if I didn't love it and I certainly would not feel sorry for a boy named Emerson. I think it is a name that should stay with the boys, just like the majority of -son names, all boy to me!

Imm
    The bratpack Jack Tennyson, Archer Fitzwilliam, and Willa Jean. Eagerly awaiting our bump, due August.

Harper hit the SSA Top 1000 in 2004 and hit #24 last year. That's 7,154 girls, and a very fast rise. It has a longer history for boys (periodically in Top 1000 since 1881) and was #605 for boys last year, with 414 births.
    However, that #24 is hard to overcome. Put another way, Harper for boys is about as common as Xzavier (not a typo), Dayton, Rohan, or Zayne. Harper for girls is about as common as Lillian or Amelia, and more common than Sarah, Zoe, or Katherine.
    I just don't think it's useable.

Emerson hit in 2002 and was #244 for girls last year, with 1301 births. For boys it was #364 with 828 births, about as popular as Landyn or Karson. For girls, it's roughly as popular as Isla, Jacqueline, or Juliet. Emersyn, on the other hand, was #622 for girls, with 455 births. I personally know an Emmerson but that's not in the top 1000. Add the spellings together, and the name's as common as Margaret or Hazel.
    It is much more unisex, and I agree it has a nicely masculine sound to the ear. It's about twice as common for girls as boys, you could use it, but now's the time. Like Morgan and Jocelyn, it probably won't be unisex forever.

As I said on one of the other forums you posted on (since you basically asked about the same names I'm assuming so), I'm a guy with a unisex name who hasn't had any major problems. I think the ones that are still widely used for both genders (such as Avery and Emerson) are perfectly usable - just be sure the middle name is clearly masculine for best results. I'd hesitate more with the ones like Ashley, which have been bestowed on very few boys and lots of girls in recent times.