Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Christine, my hospital has a free doula service, so you might want to ask around at your hospitals. I haven't utilized the free service, just cause it's not really my thing, but it's nice that they offer it. At my hospital, you have to sign up for a doula by week 26, so you might want to start looking soon. My hospital also has a free "special nurse" service that is similar to a doula, but perhaps a bit less involved. That might be enough assistance for you also. Good luck! And just remember with all of this, no matter what methods, interventions, or medicines you use, the ultimate goal is a healthy baby and a healthy mom. If you accomplish those two things, the birth is a success, and you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed about :-)
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

A doula is a great idea. I didn't have one but would consider the idea next time. In fact, I did consider it last time but the cost was a factor for us.

http://www.dona.org/mothers/find_a_doula.php
    http://americanpregnancy.org/members/doulas

From http://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregnan...t-is-a-doula#9 the section on cost:

"This varies greatly dependant on experience, the state the doula is located in and what packages are on offer. A package offering pre and post-natal visits (generally around 2 hours long each) as well as the duration of the birth can cost around $800-$1000 for an experienced doula in most states, but others charge up to $2,000.

Inexperienced doulas usually charge a much lower fee which can vary from ‘costs only’ (e.g. petrol, travel) to around $250-$300. Most doulas offer reduced rates for those in genuine need. Student doulas who are looking for births to complete their training often have no charge at all. Its a great option for those who are pressed for money or want to help a doula qualify from her training."
    Mother to two lovely kiddos, Mila Arden and Cato Bennett

Currently dreaming of...
    Atlas Calloway, Atlas Bram, Atlas Octavian
    Lyra Marigold, Lyra Blythe, Lyra Clementine

Also doulamatch.net. I'm in Western NY and my doula has a phenomenal reputation, has served at over $300 births. We are only paying $400 for her services, but I think that is a pretty average rate for this part of the state. Definitely depends on where you live. I posted another post earlier but it must not have been approved yet. It was a list of suggested books and websites. I'll check back in and see if it got approved, if not I'll post again. But you are absolutely right to be concerned/cautious of induction with pitocin.