Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    @sugarplumfairy: Definitely interesting information and blade has given me a lot to read over and think about. Just an fyi, I have never personally been interested in a home birth. I already have a couple of health issues that I know could cause complications anyway so a hospital is absolutely where I'll be when the contractions kick in! But yes, our system here in the US is a mess and needs a lot of help - maybe we should look to Norway or Finland instead of the Netherlands, that's fine too!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

This is a great discussion, but I think it is important to reiterate what I said in an earlier post-- the only valid international comparison for maternity care is the Perinatal Mortality Rate. Only the US and Canada currently count ALL live-born babies, even micro-preemies who draw just one breath, as live births. EVERY other first-world country, including Western Europe and Aus/NZ, do not count these babies as alive. When the rates are readjusted for ALL live-born babies, the US has the literal BEST perinatal mortality rate in the world.

Anyone intellectually honest enough to challenge some old, dearly-held assertions should read this paper. It's the most important one, and it's a British-Canadian paper, not an American one.

http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e746
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post

Anyone intellectually honest enough to challenge some old, dearly-held assertions should read this paper. It's the most important one, and it's a British-Canadian paper, not an American one.
    Oh please. I'd be much more interested in debating this with you if you didn't come off so incredibly arrogant. Your own assertions seem to be very dearly-held, I will say.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by cvdutch31 View Post
    @sugarplumfairy: Definitely interesting information and blade has given me a lot to read over and think about. Just an fyi, I have never personally been interested in a home birth. I already have a couple of health issues that I know could cause complications anyway so a hospital is absolutely where I'll be when the contractions kick in! But yes, our system here in the US is a mess and needs a lot of help - maybe we should look to Norway or Finland instead of the Netherlands, that's fine too!
    Wasn't trying to say everyone should have a home birth I do think they are a valid option - in fact stats support they are the safest option for 2nd time low-risk mothers, but I had a hospital birth with my first and wouldn't be totally adverse to birthing in hospital again. In New Zealand, of course
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

@milasmama: I know you weren't implying that! I think home births can be fantastic too. One of my good friends just had her baby girl here at home, in Las Vegas, and it was perfect and smooth and beautiful (she had a friend photograph it and the photos make me bawl every. single. time.). And many of my family members have had great home births (in the Netherlands). Unfortunately, I've just had enough health issues myself to not trust my own body enough to do things correctly. I have an almost completely fused spine, heart rhythm issues, etc. etc. etc.. We are lucky my husband currently has insurance so we can afford the hospital option too - that's another, separate but very important issue, here in the states too. Are there any quality hospitals or anything in the Maldives where you are? I'd be so nervous to be isolated, away from high quality care.

By the way, I absolutely *adore* your little girl's name, Mila Arden - such an incredibly beautiful combination!!!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!