Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question C-Sections, inductions, oh my!

Hey again,

So as this pregnancy is (very) slowly becoming more and more real, and seeming like it's healthy and going to stick this time, I've started to let my brain wander to the delivery stuff. Not something I've let myself think much about before because I just didn't want to so early on. But I know that there's a LOT to think about so I also don't want to save it all for the last minute!

So I'm hoping to be able to go the route of a vaginal delivery for my first baby, I'm open to an epidural if I'm even able to get one (have a fused spine so I've heard some say it can't happen, not confirmed yet though). But I really, really don't want any medical intervention in terms of inducing or hurrying along the labor or any of that (unless it's the only option in terms of my life and baby girl's life, of course). I know that you can find c-section statistics for states and hospitals and I've found those, but I'm wondering about specific doctors... How do you find out how often your own OB performs c-sections and/or inductions? Do you just flat out ask during a visit? I'm a bit concerned about getting correct (detailed) information and also about not offending anyone I guess. I like my OB and would prefer to not have to change at this point in the game. So when did you bring these things up with your doctor? I'm only 16 weeks, should I not even be bothering with this stuff yet? Any tips or advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Berries!!!
    Christine

Pregnancy #1: lost to mc, 10/11

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

My only recommendation would be to talk to your OB about your concerns and see what he/she says. You don't have to out and out ask what their numbers are, but I'm sure they would give them to you if you really want to know. OB's understand that new moms have a lot of decisions to make as well as fears to dispel, so I'm sure your doctor would be happy to talk through all of this with you. Make sure and write down a list of the questions you want to ask, so you don't forget anything. I always forget stuff when I'm in the doctor's office :-)
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

That is fantastic advice Whit32, thanks so much! I know it's totally reasonable stuff to bring up, I just have to not let myself chicken out. And writing down the questions before would definitely help!
    Christine

Amelia Joelle arrived on 11/28/13 at 7 pounds, 4 ounces of pure beauty. Couldn't be happier to finally be mommy!

Labor is induced for all sorts of reasons, none of them arbitrary (save so-called social inductions)-- the top two reasons are post-dates and a worrisome growth pattern or stress test for the baby. If you feel like sharing, what is it about induction in particular that you dread?

Individual physicians keep statistics of varying degrees of exactitude on their practice patterns. For example, surgeons keep tabs on their wound infection rate or re-admission rate, but unless the hospital, practice group or academic institution demands it, is entirely voluntary. Your OB might have exact data on their percentage of births which result in c-section or on induction rates, but probably not. Blanket statements are unlikely to be particularly useful, too, since what you really want to know is how many patients *like you* end up with either of those things. A more useful question-- which you are perfectly within your rights and would be quite sensible to ask-- is how many of his/her low-risk nulliparous patients ave a section? What are the most common reasons in this persons practice to induce/section?

It's definitely not too early to gather information, but is way too early to start stressing! I know it's hard, believe me, but you really just have to wait to see how your pregnancy plays out before you an start formulating a realistic plan.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Thanks very much Blade! You make a lot of good points, as usual. In terms of induction, what scares me is all of the information I see that seems to indicate induction generally ends up causing more problems than it solves. Obviously, I don't have data on-hand to back this up, that's just the anecdotal info I hear from friends and read on boards and such. I just really hate the overall perception of birth here in America as a medical issue that inherently requires intervention. Watch any tv show, a woman goes into labor, people start screaming and yelling to call 911 like she's having a heart attack. Most of my family (and my husband's) is in the Netherlands and it's still quite normal there to give birth at home and to trust that a woman's body knows what to do; I appreciate that.

Anyway, you're right. It's time to start gathering the info - but not yet time to start worrying about it. I'm still worrying enough about the health of the baby and success of the pregnancy that I certainly don't need to add any additional stresses! Thank you!
    Christine