Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Is this too weird?

I am due very soon with my fourth child, third son. We are struggling to find a name that we like. I prefer names that are very uncommon. If I know of someone with the same name, even if I like it, I won't use it!
    My husband and I both like the name Safari, but I'm starting to think it is just too weird.
    What do you think?
    And other ideas of unusual boys names?
    Thanks.

First impression: it's a little out there. But if you both really like it, maybe try just thinking of it as the baby's name for a while, to see how it feels. And maybe have a backup name ready in case you don't feel crazy about it after like a month or so. (That is, if you still have a month to think!) It does seem a little risky to choose something so whimsical without some time for the idea to settle in
    human children:
    holden timothy | huckleberry jude
    non-human children:
    penelope | puck | sofia

I think it's pretty far "out there". But I guess it also depends on what your other children's names are. If they all have word names or geographic-themed names or something, then why not. But, strictly speaking, Safari isn't a name.

Some very good advice I've heard when choosing a name you think may be too weird is to test it out yourself. Since you want to name your son Safari, ask your husband to take the name for a day. Like, tell the barista at Starbucks your name is Safari and see how they react and how your husband feels.

Quote Originally Posted by hlparker View Post
    Some very good advice I've heard when choosing a name you think may be too weird is to test it out yourself. Since you want to name your son Safari, ask your husband to take the name for a day. Like, tell the barista at Starbucks your name is Safari and see how they react and how your husband feels.
    I think this is a fabulous idea!!
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Jasper Simon · Arthur · Simon · Desmond · Theodore · Malcolm
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki · Kyrie