Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    My favorites from your list:

Belphoebe (love the literary connections here)
    Ceridwen
    Isolde (yes, she was beautiful, but also faithful and brave)
    Hermione (Not just HP-- also Shakespeare)
    Nimue (love the story with this one, and think it's so wearable)
    Serafina
    Tinuviel (so beautiful!)

I'm not very good at recommendations. You have so many great names already. I'm sure someone else mentioned Antigone, which is one of my favorites. What about: Florimell or Alma? And this might be really silly, but as an alternative to Cleopatra, there's both Cleophila and Philoclea in The Old Arcadia. I've always loved those names.

I like these names for Aphrodite's sister. My faves are in BOLD.

Bellicent
    Belphoebe
    Ceridwen
    Hypatia
    Isolde
    Morgana
    Nimue
    Olympia
    Serafina
    Sunniva
    Tinuviel
    Xenia
    Zenobia

The only name I would discourage anyone from choosing is Jezebel. It just comes with too much baggage. It's not just the Biblical story but the name is synonymous for a "wicked, shameless woman". Not appropriate qualities to wish for any child. People may not know the Biblical story but they know the term "Jezebel" and it doesn't have a positive perception. Her death wasn't pretty either.

I like these for the middle spot:

Berenice, Brigid, Constance, Cressida, Cyrene, Daphne, Elaine, Giselle, Isis, Jasmine, Loveday, Nephele, Niamh, Noor, Olwen, Ophelia, Phoebe, Selene, Signe, Sybilla, Ursula, Vanessa, Villanelle, Yvaine and Zephyrine.
    Last edited by mischa; June 25th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Your lists, both boys and girls, are just stunning! My favorites from this one are Atalanta, Serafina, isolde and Zenobia. I am Syrian and visited the ruins of the city Zenobia ruled when I was 16. The ruins in Syria are not roped off and institutionalized the way they are elsewhere and are not heavily frequented by tourists. That means they are not immaculately restored and maintained by teams of professionals, but the upside is one can roam alone through the columns, press up against cool castle walls, and climb chunks of rubble unsupervised. It was amazing to walk the dusty paths and imagine the city as Zenobia saw it. I have been enamored with the the name since then. That was 16 years ago. I would LOVE to meet a little girl named Zenobia and I think it's eminently wearable with all of the the nn possibilities. Zen and Roo are so cute!
    Noora
    Mom to Rusha, Tarek, and Naseem

I do so love your naming style. I am trying to put a lot of thought and feeling into my comments.

Belphoebe - This is a beautiful name! I think the soft sound ph adds to its magic
    Ceridwen - This name feels like a winter name; snowy, white; ethereal
    Circe - "the loveliest of all immortals" - oh yes! beautiful, seductive - Aphrodite's equal for sure
    Cleopatra -Tell Mr Otter I love it! out there? yes! Unusual? yes! A woman who knew how to live and succeed in a man's world? yes!
    Lyonesse - Pronounced correctly - stunning; as an American, All I can hear is being turned into lioness.
    Morgana - A velvet cape in the girl's list! I am so excited. I love the name Morgana. It feels velvety and cool at the same time, like satin warmed by the skin.
    Nimue - I like the Lady of the Lake but it seems a little light and watery for a winter girl
    Serafina - Secret love of mine!
    Zenobia - Awesome beautiful name as well. Aphrodite and Zenobia sound so cool together.

My top three:

Morgana - Rainier's feminine side; Sleek, beautiful with just a hint of the passion and magic inside. Morgana wears Mr Otter's cape as well as any of the men.
    Ceriwen - Something about this name sings to me, much more open with her magic than Morgana
    Circe/Cleopatra - Circe is Aphrodite's equal. I love the sound and feel but is she too much like Aphrodite? Cleopatra - Strong woman, strong name, oddly lacking in any color/feeling to me.

As much as I love Morgana, I can't help be tempted by Ceridwen. Morgana's cloak is closed, but Ceridwen's is open and welcoming.

I already commented on your list, but totally neglected to suggest additions. Not all of these pair perfectly with Aphrodite, but I think they're all within your wheelhouse.

Undine/Ondine
    Elektra
    Ursula
    Antigone
    Freya
    Nyx
    Narcissa
    Isis
    Ibis
    Yggdrasil
    Thalassa
    Valkyrie
    Caledonia
    Ishtar
    Valhalla
    Lucretia
    Calixta
    Calliope
    Lilith
    Pallas
    Embla
    Tanaquil
    Zuleika
    Boadicea
    Basilia
    Phaedra
    Amoret
    Salome
    Cimarron
    Damaris
    Satyana
    Xanthe
    Socorro
    Hestia
    Hespera
    Morrigan
    Venus
    Vesta
    Morwenna
    Altaluna
    Astarte
    Cybele
    Fortuna
    Brigantia
    Madonna
    Gaia

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...