Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Ooooh, so excited to get my hands on the new list! ^_^ I'm like a chocoholic in a candy store.

Atalanta – You've loved this one since day one, so I really want to make her happen for you…Are she and Aphrodite at odds in the myth? If so, this one would likely only work as a middle :-/ Built-in sibling rivalry is definitely grounds for some veto points.
    Befana - the witchiness IS alluring…but the fact that this witch is personified as an ugly old woman rather negates that allure. When you Google Aphrodite, you get images of unearthly beautiful women. When you Google Befana, you get images of humpbacked hags on the broomstick version of Santa's sleigh. I just don't think they can work together.
    Bellicent – If it's a choice between this and Belphoebe…sorry, Bellicent, the Faerie Queene wins hands down
    Belphoebe – If we're going to make an exception to Mr. Otter's "no ph sounds" rule, this is the name for which we do it. Power, beauty, magic, mystery…she holds her own beside Aphrodite and the softer sounds only highlight the strength beneath.
    Bradamante – Not on board with this one…I picture Brienne, who is a fascinating character, but next to Aphrodite…? Ouch. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a line between a strong powerful name, and a name that reads as mannish. What would you nickname her? BradAdamMan…all the parts of this name add up to something too masculine to work next to the ethereal vision of big sister's goddessy moniker.
    Ceridwen – I do so love Ceridwen for you, and I think she holds her own next to Aphrodite. Ceridwen is not as well known as Aphrodite, and she is also from a different pantheon, so the deity theme isn't *too* obvious. Now if only we can get Mr. O on board.
    Circe – Bold, fearless, and bewitching, with a cloak of shadowy allure…love it. Does your man consider this one to be a clear-cut name?
    Cleopatra – This is one of my favorite ideas yet! She's exactly the sort of ballsy choice that Aphrodite was. They are equals in power and beauty and feminine mystique, and yet they're such very different characters, each with her own strength and energy. I'm seriously cuckoo for cocopuffs over Cleopatra. Way to go, Mr. O!!
    Gwenllian – Gwenllian is everything I wanted Bradamante to be: a beautiful, powerful, fearless warrior woman complete with feminine grace and charm. A female Robin Hood. Her name is willowy and sweet, her legend is epic and inspiring. What's not to love?
    HermioneHermione is cute. Since the advent of Harry Potter, she's been so popularized by the character that it's difficult, nigh impossible, for her to stand alone on her own merits. I think you have more interesting choices.
    Hypatia – I love her story, her education and philosophy, astronomy and mathematics, unheard of in that day and age…but not her name. I'm just not one of those people who can love an uncomfortable name for the namesake alone. There's also the menstrual rags legend, which is rather icky.
    Isolde – I deeply prefer Yseult...perhaps since Isolde isn't your strongest choice, we can use this variant and move her to the middle?
    Jezebel – I'm sorry, lovie, but I don't think you can use Jezebel any more than you can use Lucifer (which I think is beautiful). Historically, she was just a Persian queen, but people don't think of her in simple historical terms, they think of the Biblical character. While that character's death was horrific and is often justified for all the wrong reasons, she was not innocent…aside from slaughtering prophets and instigating a religious war, she had her own subjects murdered just so her husband wanted their vineyard. Even aside from the controversial parts of her story, the name Jezebel has transcended the specific character and become slang for wicked, jealous, trashy, and/or morally loose women, and more specifically, a prostitute. Regardless of whether we think the name needs to be reclaimed from all these negative associations, they still exist, and that's a harsh reality to bestow on a child. There is even some debate about the meaning of the name itself, ranging from "joy of Bael" to "not exalted" to "island of dung" O.o
    Lyonesse – I love this name! I think the lioness association only enhances the epicness. How attached are you to Leonidas? Because I think this would be one of those "one or the other" situations.
    Lysistrata – I don't think it's too out there, but the hissiness throws me off.
    Morgana – I do have mad love for Morgana. Although I lean towards Circe just a wee bit, if we're choosing between the two.
    Musidora – It's true, this doesn't have any historical or mythological namesake, which is obviously important to you and mister. She'd make a gorgeous middle name though, especially paired with something like Amoret.
    Nimue – Squee! Vastly prefer her to Niniane…I just love the open sound on the end. Such an evocative magical name! I'm happy to see her on The List.
    Olympia – A bit themey with Aphrodite, but I know how you love your O names
    Ourania – Such an unfortunate combo of sounds…there's far too much teasing potential to make this usable. Orania I can see faring better, but it's still not ideal. Oriana? Oriel? Orane? Orinthia?
    Pandeia/Pandia – Panda and Roo and Otter, a veritable menagerie ^_^ I actually prefer Pandora over these two. Being in a sibset with Aphrodite takes the bite out of Pandora's myth…after all, she didn't mean to release evil onto the world…she was just curious
    Serafina – I adore Serafina Pekkala, and I have been working and working on my husband trying to get him to change his mind and allow me this or a variant. I love the meaning, ardent and fiery, and the association with angels. I'm not sure how I feel about Aphrodite and Serafina as a sibset. I'll have to think on it.
    Sunniva – I like the connection with your heritage, but this doesn't feel like your strongest choice.
    Tinuviel – I am over the moon for Tinuviel! "Daughter of the starry twilight" has to be the most beautiful meaning of a name I've ever heard. And I think she makes a perfect wintry choice as well…I can just imagine the silvery starlight reflecting off heaps and drifts of snow…
    Xenia – I'm with hubs on this one…Xena the warrior princess.
    Zenobia – She's not my personal favorite, but I know you love her, and aesthetically, she pairs well with Aphrodite.

To sum up:

Favorites (top five are bold and in order of preference) – Cleopatra, Belphoebe, Tinuviel, Gwenllian, Pandora, Circe, Nimue, Serafina, Morgana, Lyonesse, Ceridwen

Like but don't love (or just don’t like the sibset) – Atalanta, Hypatia, Lysistrata, Olympia Sunniva, Zenobia

Veto Points – Befana, Bellicent (in favor of Belphoebe), Bradamante, Hermione, Isolde (change to Yseult, move to middles), Jezebel, Musidora (move to middles), Ourania, Xenia
    Zion Nathaniel ~ Solomon Fable ~ Balthazar Wolf ~ Malachi Sparrow nn Kai ~ Tobias Rowan ~ Caspian _____
    Alice Willow ~ Ophelia Wren ~ Juliet Snow ~ Lucia Pearl ~ Eve Wisteria nn Evie ~ Cosima Rose ~ River Seraphine ~ Elowen Briar

GPs
    Narnia Rose, Astoria nn Story, Illyria, Serafina, Soraya, Faerydae
    Orion Melchior North, Tobias Loki, Edmund, Frost, Oberon, Kenshin, Remiel, Atreyu

Top 5:
    1. Cleopatra - I love the idea of Aphrodite & Cleopatra...they're completely different, but evenly matched in terms of boldness and sparkle.
    2. Zenobia - Adore. Again, this feels well matched in terms of a bold choice, yet user-friendly in terms of pronunciation.
    3. Olympia - Maybe a little theme-y, but I do like Olympia quite a bit, and she definitely glitters.
    4. Atalanta - I love Atalanta....name and story....but I agree, it's a little theme-y as Aphrodite plays a role in the same myth. I don't think that's enough to rule her out though.
    5. Circe - Lovely, but part of me wants an equally adorable nickname as Roo (or are you calling her Dita now? Or both?)

I know you must be one overwhelmed mama right now, but I do love getting to see your name choices again so soon.

Such wonderful names! Here are my opinions...

Atalanta - Well, she doesn't make her sister's namesake look all that great
    Befana - this doesn't feel romantic enough
    Bellicent - This exudes strength and romanticism to me.
    Belphoebe - I find it hard not to be enamored by this name and its wonderful namesake. Yet, while I like it quite a bit, but it's not my favorite next to Aphrodite.
    Bradamante - The strength of this stands up well to Aphrodite, but the name just doesn't feel very feminine
    Ceridwen - Love it. Very different from Aphrodite, but I think this helps open you up for future babies
    Circe - Beautiful names, but I do think there are others on your list that are both stronger and more romantic
    Cleopatra - This stands up so, so well to Aphrodite! Almost too perfect to pass up.
    Hermione - I love that it's both Shakespearean and mythological, but it just doesn't excite me.
    Hypatia - Absolutely yes! So incredible on all fronts.
    Isolde - Oh how I adore this name - both in the Isolde and Iseult form. I do understand your reservations though and for this reason she may be better fit for the middle. Oh, and what a wonderful middle she'd make!
    Jezebel - Eh. She does work well with Aphrodite, but I"ve known so many feline Jezebels...
    Lyonesse - It's wonderful, but it just feels more like a middle name to me. Is that weird?
    Lysistrata - Oh how I love to see this name! I remember taking a course with a unit on Aristophanes back in college - Lysistrata was the play I presented on. Thanks for bringing back those fond memories! Obviously I love it - she's definitely fabulous next to Aphrodite
    Morgana - Hauntingly beautiful, absolutely no question about it. I just don't know if I love her as a little sister for miss Roo
    Musidora - Not magnificent enough, imo
    Nimue - A pit soft next to the all powerful Aphrodite. Definitely pretty though
    Olympia - It's just a bit too literal. Could be a nice mirror to Illyria in the middle?
    Ourania - I too find the sound pretty, but there's just nothing pushing it over the edge into magnificence for me
    Pandeia/Pandia - Prefer Pandeia of the two, but I prefer others on your list to both of them
    Serafina - beautiful, but she just doesn't feel that special
    Sunniva - I really want to endorse this more fully, but I do think you need something a bit more singular
    Tinuviel - Love the meaning, but she doesn't have the same strength that Aphrodite and many others on your list have.
    Xenia - Pretty, but falls a bit flat next to your other names
    Zenobia - Absolutely fabulous. I picture a ridiculously smart little girl who is constantly dressing up in some extravagant, wonderfully put together costume.

My absolute favorites are Ceridwen, Cleopatra, Hypatia, Lysistrata, and Zenobia, with an honorable mention to Bellicent.
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catharina, Beatrix Eveline, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

I am in love with Jezebel for you, she's the perfect sister for Aphrodite. Hypatia, Cleopatra and Gwenllian are also ridiculously cool.

Argh, had to edit after I realised this isn't just a fantasy thread (it's been a loong day and I'm a fool): huge congrats and internet hugs!
    Last edited by caroline147; June 25th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore

Five pages, wow. I'll do a big blanket thanks to the ones I really don't need to comment back to:

Flamingo, Whisk me away, Sheildsc, Pardalote, Northern Lights, Sarah, Emekct, Vch23, Mischa (thanks for the J-bel warning): Thank you all so much for your help!

Mrs Anton; Thanks, and I do love Ariadne, but she was considered and nixed.

Mbrow222; I like Antigone, but one of our closest friend-couples have a daughter by this name. Hecate would rule out Hespera which we are saving for a summer/autumn babe. The others have all been considered and dropped at some point. Thanks though!

Lonestar; we go back and forth between Pandora and Pandeia.

C&P; I love your comments! Circe is sassy isn’t she? And I think she completely holds her own. And I love Zenobia too… the Cornish association is just an amazing extra point in her favour! Thanks so much for all your comments, you’re for the most spot on.

Namelover77; yes, I think A & Z would make a good pair! I like Rhiannon of your suggestions, but as much as I love it I keep hearing the Fleetwood Mac song.

Athena; Hermione Eowyn Sybilla is very pretty

Shanade; I had Roxana on my previous list, but we dropped it. I also like Lorelei, but it’s too siren-y for me.

Ellenelle; Thanks for your thoughtful comments! It’s appreciated.

Aurra; Thanks for picking out your favourites, and let’s see… I do like Calypso but acquaintance with baby by this name, Electra (H doesn’t like the myth),
    Chione (on my middle list), Andromeda (but prefer Perseus which is on my boy list) and Astraea. Thanks!

McLola; Thanks for picking out your favourites and commenting! I love the double s’s in Circe too…

Author in writing; thanks for the comments, very helpful! I don’t mind the HP reference with Hermione.

Bounceparty; Thanks for picking out your favourites. Haha, when we tell people Aphrodite’s name there is usually some shock. But most people, after gathering themselves, think it’s really cool! And she’s the most beautiful baby ever so she can carry it !

Larkub; Xylia is sweet, but it sounds like an instrument to me. Like xylophone.

Dina; our tastes are pretty similar for this baby. Zenobia is so gorgeous, I love it, I think it needs a special baby though… and the nicknames for Zenobia are delightful!

Sierra; I like the idea of Hannelore, but I can’t get past Hanne which I find really unappealing. Thanks though!

Tintri; I know, I want to meet a little Cleopatra too! Like Zenobia I think it needs to be a particular kind of baby to pull It off… we’ll see if this one is it!

Angel; yay comments from you are always good. I love that you know a Cleopatra, it makes me feel better about the world. Rohana is gorgeous, I will consider it. And I will let you need when I need combos so you can work your magic! Thanks, sweetie!

Mandyjai; Thanks! Cleopatra is a front runner… Calliope is gorgeous, but I’d like to use Orpheus for a son one day. It’s my favourite boy name.

Whisk me away; Ophelia and Ondine are on my middle list, they are gorgeous. I love Persephone, but Husband got issues(long story). Thanks though!

Celianne; Circe is SUR-see. Thanks for your comments, they’re colourful! And, yes, I read the Belgariad as a child… wonderful.

Clocktower; thanks for pulling out your favourites. I did mean Aradia; she was a Roman Goddess-witch.

Roulan; Jael was horrible! I dislike her story. Grueful. I like Freya, but I’m definitely not doing another love and beauty Goddess (bye bye Ishtar!). Thanks though!

Tfzolghadr; I haven’t seen that website, I will check it out later. Thanks for picking out your favourties for me!

Vicioustrollop; Morgaine is pretty, but I like Gothic Morgana. Melisande was considered, but felt too damsel in distress like for me.

Victoria; Thanks for your comments, I do enjoy your insight. Not biased about Hermione, eh? Hmmm… Olympia makes me think of Angelina too, haha. But she’s stunning so that’s ok! I think Seraphina is pretty too, but I do have a friend by this name, so Serafina feels a bit different. Thank you sweetiepie!

Svea; thank you! Galadriel, I’d love to use that one. It’s so sorceressy and romantic and magical. Angharad was vetoed by Husband. Hillevi!!!! Oh, I love this. Must put on middle list. It’s actually one of my favourite Scandi names. Valkyrie is a nice option too! Thank you!

Genevieve; I do like Nausicaä, but my husband does not. Thank you though, you know me well.

Augs; Aah, comments from you are so much fun. I appreciate what you’re saying, and I agree with ost of it too. Thanks so much! And I love that you love Cleopatra, Zenobia, Circe and Morgana so much.

Amy My Darling; the girls are easier to narrow down. You’re right, it’s less wiggle room over here. I’m dying for a little Gwen… and a little Cleo, a little Bee. Tinuviel might very well fit better in the middle, but how cute would it be as a first name? Little Tiny? Do you rememeber your Tinuviel combo? Perfection… I actually kind of take back what I said about Isolde. I read this book that has an alternate view on Tristan and Isolde, and that’s how I choose to look at their story. But I might put her in the middle. Thank you so much sweetheart!!

Rachel; thank you. I do love Florimell, she was just nixed before this round actually. I think she was rather cool and sassy. My husband hates phil names, so those two are out. I tried to suggest Philomela and that did not go over well…

Noora; Yes, I know, I’ve been there! My father worked a lot in that part of the world when I was younger, so occasionally we were brought along to see some of these fascinating things. My family’s got a special place in their heart for this ancient part of the world.

Bonnie; Thanks! I love the “a woman who knew how to live and succeed in a man’s world”. She really did, didn’t she? And, for a sillier reason, Elizabeth Taylor was one of my all time favourite actresses, so it’s an extra little plus for Cleoptara. I think Nimue might be more spring or summer like. I’m glad you like my favourites so much!

Augs Again; I like…. Ondine (on my middle list), Electra (but H doesn’t), Ursula (middle), Freya, Isis (middle), Thalassa!, Ishtar (but too much beauty/love Goddess), Lilith, Embla, Pallas (but the killed thing makes me sad), Amoret (but too lovey dovey with big sis), Socorro, Hespera (saving for a summer daughter), Astarte (see Ishtar). Thank you!

Sessha; Aphrodite (who’s mad with Attie for being a virgin) provides Atalanta’s suitor with three golden apples he throws in front of Attie during their race, and for each one she slows down to pick them up, so he wins, and she has to marry him. Befana was HIS choice, not mine. I’m trying to be cooperative. I think it’s a beautiful sound, but I want something beautiful for my other daughters as well. Jezebel; well, we’ll have to disagree on this one. I think she’s fascinating and cool. BUT she would rule out Belphoebe… which might be the biggest con for miss Jez. I’m so excited you like Cleopatra, and Gwenllian (but I knew that) and Morgana (knew that too, really)… Yes, he likes Circe. I think major pluses for him are the Waterhouse paintings. Anything with a good painting and he’ll jump aboard. Ah, I’d love to re-comment on each of your comments, but it would be looooong. But I am glad you’re loving my favourties (Tiny! Yay!). Thank you so much, sweetheart, you are a wonder.

LIneska; Thanks for your comments. It seems like most people are circling in on the same names, which are my favourties as well. Yay! Overhwelmed? Yes… supportive and wonderful husband though !

Reverie; Thank you! You see Zenobia the same way I do! It’s such a cute name. And you like Lysistrata! That makes me excited. Such a fun play!

Caroline; yay! I love that you like Jezebel. I think it's a glorious name. Thank you!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]