Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Haha, I think London is kind of a guy thing. I know many of my friends husbands have suggested London for their little girls, and it's the only name that they'll consider, I don't know what it is that appeals to them exactly.
    That being said I do like that London has significance to you and your husband. It is trendy, but I think if you really loved the name that wouldn't be a problem. But it doesn't sound like your sold on the name. Is there any chance your hubby would consider it in the middle spot? If not I would go with a very feminine middle. I like the pp suggestion of London Allegra some others you might consider

London Cassandra
    London Caroline
    London Juliet
    London Cecily
    London Valentina
    London Serena
    London Eliza
    London Madeline
    London Cressida
    London Annabel
    London Philippa
    London Georgina

OR
    What if you suggested naming your daughter after a specific place in London? Like a street you and your husband visit, or a cafe or something like that. Just so it isn't so blatant of a connection? Something like....

Bexley
    Harrow
    Sutton
    Primrose (after primrose hill)
    Maida (Maida hill tunnel)
    Abbey (abbey creek)
    Beverley (Beverley Brook)
    Dollis (dollis brook)
    Effra (river Effra)
    Alexandra (alexandra park)
    Camley (Camley st. natural park)
    Jubilee (Jubilee gardens)
    May/Maisie (Mayesbrook)
    Valentine (Valentines park/ mansion)
    Victoria (victoria park/victoria tower gardens)
    Violet (violet hill gardens)
    Kensington (Kensington Gardens/ palace)
    Surrey (Surrey docks farm/ Surrey Square)
    Somerset (Somerset house)
    Trinity (trinity house)
    Clare (clare market)
    Sloane (sloane square)
    Chelsea
    Oakley (oakley square)
    Arundel (Arundel square)
    Cloudesley (Cloudesley square)
    Avondale (Avondale square)
    Leyton (Leyton square)
    Sidney (sidney square)

I've never been to London so I don't know, some of these might have some bad associations, but I'm sure if you brainstormed a little bit you could find a place IN London that has some significance to you, and maybe your husband might consider that instead of London itself?
    Last edited by alexa400; June 24th, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by labelo View Post
    Frankly, it's a shock to me that he likes London, but I think it's mostly a sentimental attachment to the place.
    Shot in the dark but perhaps he'd like Chelsea? It's a place in London so there's still a connection there and it's widely used as a name without being too popular or too unique.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

What do you think of Linden? Similar sounds, way less place namey.
    Zoe Milena
    9/12/14

I agree with everyone else: London is trendy, tacky, and not a real name.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Thank you for all the input and name suggestions, I really do appreciate it.

Out of real curiosity, I do wonder what makes a name a "real" name. Totally open ended question to anyone who'd like to chime in. Use in a famous piece of literature? Is it a long heritage/history of being used as a name? How many years/children? At some point in the past all names were invented, right? Usually because of meaning to the parents or because it described the child.
    I certainly don't mean to sound argumentative, as I really do wonder, and I don't have an answer for myself, but let's take the example of London, since it's being discussed. SSN says 3179 girls in the US were given the name London in 2012. That's certainly not as many as Sophia or Isabelle, but that's also slightly more than Lydia (3140) or Madeline (3137). At what point must London (or any other name without a long tradition of use) be considered "real"?
    I'm not necessarily advocating inventing new names, just wondering at what point we must accept that a thing or adjective or place or syllable mashup has earned its place as a name.

Laura & Derek

Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Leonie - Margot - Selene
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr