Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

London: seeking thoughts and middle names

Hubby has lots of ideas for boy names, but finding a girl name that we agree on has been like pulling teeth! It's gotten to the point where I just started reading down the SSN list of names from 2012, hoping to land on something we both liked. The only name on my list (including those in my signature) that he remotely liked was Audrey.

His pick? London. He doesn't just like it, he's rapturous.
    Besides looking and sounding pretty, London also holds the distinction of being our favorite city. To my husband, it's got the perfect mix of history, culture, art, gravitas, and personal significance. It's the name by which he's come to judge all other names, and he'll hardly listen to anything else.

I, on the other hand, like London but I am not enamored with it. I tend not to prefer names ending with -on or -en sounds, and London isn't overtly feminine to me (my preference for girl names). I do like that it is two syllables and begins with my favorite letter, "L". I also like that unlike Lila, my favorite girl name, it doesn't look like other popular names that might make it seem more common than it actually is (Layla, Lily, etc.).

My biggest concern is London's trendiness. It wasn't even on the SSN top 1000 list until 1994 and over the last couple of years it has vaulted to the top 100, though it did stabilize at 94 the past two years. I don't at all mind a top 100 name, but I don't want a name that seems "flash in the pan" and is easily dateable. DH thinks that London is a gorgeous city with a long history, and thus is somewhat timeless even if the baby name has only recently become fashionable.

Your thoughts? Are my "trendiness" fears with London founded? Does it really matter all that much if we both like the name (especially since DH loves it)?

Second question: middle names. I'd like to find something that is either one syllable or is 2-3 syllables with the stress on the last syllable. Since I already feel that London is a bit trendy, I'd like to stay away from super trendy middles: no Grace, Rose, etc. It should probably not be a word/"thing" name, as I think that makes London sound adjectival, ie: London Ivy, London Snow. I'd also like to avoid anything associated with a famous Brit (so no London Kate, London Elizabeth, etc.) It should not end with an -on, -an, or -en sound. Enough rules?

Rules in mind, what middle name would you pair with London?
    Last edited by labelo; June 24th, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr