Names Searched Right Now:

The meaning of Halle

Nameberry only lists Halle as a diminutive of Harold, but other sites claim her meaning as "Heroine".

I consider nameberry a trusted source... Are the other sites wrong?
    Proud mama to Lucia Marie (3) and Halle Regina born July 12th!

I consider Behindthename.com my most trusted name site for factual meaings and etymology. They say:

Halle -- Male -- Norse -- From the Old Norse name Halli, a diminutive of names containing the element hallr meaning "rock".

And from their site it says Halle Barry (spelled wrong there) was named for a department store.
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

Halle is originally a Norse boys name meaning 'rock'. I like it but had to give it up because I struggle to pronounce it the correct way.

Edit:: Haha, yeah. What Dantea said
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by dantea View Post
    I consider Behindthename.com my most trusted name site for factual meaings and etymology. They say:

Halle -- Male -- Norse -- From the Old Norse name Halli, a diminutive of names containing the element hallr meaning "rock".

And from their site it says Halle Barry (spelled wrong there) was named for a department store.
    All of this. I don't trust Nameberry's meanings....
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Since in English Halle is mostly a form of Hallie, which is a nickname, I guess the meaning would depend of what the original full name was.

For example, Hallie is usually a a diminutive of Harriet — ultimately from the Germanic name Heinrich, "home+ruler". If you see it as short of Halldora ("Thor's rock") or Halcyon ("kingfisher bird") or Haroldine ("army leader"), the meaning would vary accordingly.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.