Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Amelie is almost 5 and Daisy is brand new, and so far, its working well. Amelie is at an age where she is independent and can do a lot of things for herself, like getting dressed and brushing her own teeth, etc. She can keep herself entertained while I'm looking after Daisy and is old enough to understand she can't be rough with her.

I'm happy with how this is working thus far but obviously it is early days yet. We won't be having any more children but the idea of two close together makes me break out in a cold sweat, I simply could not do it!

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

For me personally, I think between 3 and 4 years will be ideal. In my experience (as a preschool teacher; I only have 1 child of my own), the "MINE" stage starts much sooner than age 3. Like, as soon as they're old enough to say the word "mine". Babies are very self-centered and the older they get, the more they come to understand that the world doesn't revolve around them. 3 years old is about when they start becoming a little more independent (they're potty trained, they can feed themselves, etc.) They can also communicate their needs much better and be reasoned with to a certain extent. I loved teaching 3-4 year old preschool! One of my students became a big sister while in my class and it was a really exciting time for her. She loved telling everyone she was going to have a baby sister. I think a 3 year old can understand the concept of a new baby much better than a younger toddler (not that they understand what it entails, how their life will change, etc....but, honestly, neither do you!) My daughter just had her 1st birthday at the beginning of this month, so we're waiting at least another year before we start thinking about TTC again. It took us awhile the first time because I was diagnosed with PCOS, but who knows how long it will take next time.

This is a great topic for me. Baby #1 is 9 months old and we're trying to figure out if we're ready to start TTC or if we should wait a bit longer. We'd love to have 3 kids but I'm 37, and don't want to be pregnant when I'm well into my 40s. (DH said at the beginning of our relationship that he wanted 5 kids, but that's asking way to much at this point!) That means the babies need to be close together, but I don't want to rush things either -for my body or for baby! It's good to read the pros and cons that all you other mamas have listed. Thanks!
    Mommy to John Alexander & 3 furbabies; Maggie the dog, Rex & Bella the wannabe lions

Current favourites: girls -Eliana [Bronwen, Joy, Claire, Irene], Leora [Irene, Bronwen, Bronwyn], Sarah Elise, Anna Charlotte, Adelaide, Phoebe, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Anastasia, Celeste, Astrid, Beatrix, Lucy
    boys: Callum, Arthur [Paul or William], Nathaniel, Samuel, Zachary, Elijah

I'm 4 years apart from my brother, and I don't think it was entirely the age gap, but we hated each other as children. It went far beyond normal sibling rivalry, but IME, other siblings that are 4 years apart aren't that close either.

I'd like to have my children close in age, but it's unlikely we'd be ready for a second child any time within the next 2 years. So I'll probably wait until Lillian is 5 or 6 before adding another. I'm also really interested in fostering or adopting older children, so maybe one day she will have a sibling close in age to her...but it won't be as a baby or toddler.
    Lillian Elizabeth 6.16.13

Holy Heaven, I didn't expect anybody to visit my thread - and hooray to replies! Thank you all ladies, seeing that amount of comments and a lot of reasonable thoughts I can surely say the topic is not only urgent to me but also hot and interesting to discuss. So I will try to add my notes, ideas and brainstorms to your pros and cons. *Nelly suddenly started to cry, I will get back as soon as I lull her and put to sleep, so sorry*