Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    People will call your child whatever you do, whether its the nn or going by their full given name when a nn is usually used. For instance, my friend has a Benjamin...not a "Ben", he is Benjamin and while it was odd for me at first to call him *not* "Ben" I am used to it and that's his name! Same goes with an adult Matthew I know, not Matt, Matthew. I think at least when I was growing up (in the 80's) pretty much every name was shortened that could be, and so many beautiful and handsome names were never said in their entirety due to this (I love Elizabeth but all the girls were Liz or Beth etc) and now it seems much more common.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

I have limited experience, but here is mine so far, we named our son Theodore last year with the intention of calling him Theo most of the time. So far we do, with the occasional full Theodore thrown in there and EVERYONE calls him Theo. We have not had one person try to call him anything else. If I introduce him as Theodore, I do get "Teddy?" occasionally, and I simply respond with "We call him Theo".. Huck is the intuitive nickname for Huckleberry so I think people will take to it easily.

If I met a Henry nicknamed Huck, after hearing the parents say it a few times I'm sure Huck would just feel like his name, simple as that
    Mama to Theodore Adl3r Emm3tt "Theo" born April 2012

Expecting baby #2 March 2015!! It's a GIRL!!!!

*Louisa *Felicity *Gwendolen *Clementine *Rosalie *Philippa *Lavinia *Beatrix *Wren *Eugenia *Florence *Primrose
    *Percival (Percy)*Augustin (Gus) *Arthur (Ari) *Frederick (Fritz) *Dashiell (Dash) *Winston *Felix *Walter *Henry/Hendrick *Edwin *Rupert

Guilty pleasures ~Pomeline, Peregrine, Delphine, and Ferdinand

I think the nickname you choose usually sticks. One exception might be where a given name has a very natural, common nickname, and the nickname you are going for is more unusual. For example, you could name your son Christoper and want him to go by Topher, but it is likely (though not definite) that at some point the other kids will start calling him Chris. The other exception would be if your kid chooses to change his nickname once he is old enough to decide for himself. This would again probably be more common with unusual nicknames.

I think the stronger possibility with Huckleberry is that the full first name could be dropped entirely. If I were named Huckleberry, I would use Huck for everything you didn't need to have your legal name on.

A H3nry I know introduces himself as Ha nk, so everyone calls him hank. Occasionally I call him H3nry but that's just because I have a habit of calling people by their full names lol. I think huck should be for huckleberry but if he introduced himself as huck then it's no problem.
    Right Now I would name them...
    ∆ Ellis Apollo • Vesper Aurelia ∆

∆ Casper Aloysius • Reverie Antonia ∆

Guilty Pleasures ...

Sailor . Waverly . Ever . Harlow . Elliot . Jasper . Lirit . Muse . Egypt . Ireland . Primrose . Calypso . Rowan

I went to school with a girl named Elizabeth but she went by Reka fully. The only time you heard her called Elizabeth was on the first day of class if the teacher didn't know her yet. I don't think I ever even asked how she came to be a Reka and not a Liz or Beth. I didn't even think of it cause she told me Reka was her name and Reka it was. I think Holden is a fantastic name and I applaud you for the guts to use Huckleberry!! Huck is adorable and they're both great literary references
    My Favorites:

Colette Kristine. Alice Evanna. Gemma Elizabeth. Mabel Verity. Rosalie Grace.

Jack Jeffrey. Carson Luke. Felix James. Leo Patrick. River Justin.

can't wait to marry my love!