Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    I'd also recommend a doula if you are birthing in the US. Also a midwife as a primary maternity care provider and a birth centre birth if you are interested in having a natural (unmedicated vaginal) birth. Personally, my belief that natural birth is the best option for the majority of women is not based on any concept of "proving" anything, but because the evidence supports best health outcomes for the majority of mothers and baby that way.

On a related note to natural birth, you may also be interested in looking into the benefits of delayed cord clamping. I highly recommend the book "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" by Dr Sarah Buckley. Well researched and referenced book that looks into several different pregnancy and birth interventions.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

If it makes you feel better, the hospital I delivered both my babies in does not require birthing in any specific position (I had baby #2 on my hands and knees), and allows eating and drinking in labour to your heart's delight, epidural or no epidural. They just came in and served me a full meal, and you better believe I ate it! Birthing is hard work. They do not require IV's for low risk mothers, and with my first I never once had an IV throughout the entire hospital stay. The only reason I had one with my second baby is because they were prepping me for an epidural (at my very vocal request) but gave birth before that was placed, and because I passed some huge clots afterwards, the IV was kept in for the rest of the hospital stay, just to be safe. This hospital is not a birthing center or anything, it is totally mainstream, the only one around in a fairly rural area. I'm in Canada though, things may be a bit different down in the states.
    Mommy to Quinton Vladimir and Maeve Elisabeth

Current favourites: Pearl, Ruby, Cecilia/Cecily, Demetria, Emmeline, Elizabeth/Eliza, Beatrix, Evangeline, May/Maeve, Mia, Bella, Annabelle, Maria, Phoebe, Jemima, Jamila, Maisie, Sanna, Mercy, Aviva, Avalon
    Quinton, Kingston, Elijah, Jonah, Ezekiel, Sebastian, Cooper, Zebedee, Malachi, Linus, Titus, Fergus, Finnian

I'm glad you found a doula. I hope she can help put some of your fears to rest. My doula was a great support for my natural birth.

My doula said the #1 way to have the birth experience you want is to choose the right doctor for you. Some doctors and mamas just aren't a good fit. There are some doctors who may prefer working with women who want an epidural. Other doctors are great working with women who desire a natural birth, and of course many are great at both. Keep talking to your doctor about your concerns, and if you feel you're going to have to "fight" with your doctor on everything, you're probably not a good fit. Don't think all doctors are like that. You just haven't found the right doctor for you.

I used to sound very like you. When I became pregnant and started doing all this reading on natural childbirth, I became very concerned about this "cascade of interventions." I thought, they're going to push things on me I don't want, and I don't want to fight to get the experience I want. But after talking to my doctor, my doula, and going through my two experiences in the hospital, I found that my fears were totally unfounded.

In the end, I found that ironically, natural birth advocates pushed their own ideas on me far more than my doctor or nurses did. According to the natural birthers, I should eat and drink in labor, I needed to fight against a hep-lock, I needed to fight for all these particular things and there was only one right way to do it. They said they wanted to "empower" me, but they made me feel much more fearful than the "evil medical establishment" they claimed to protect me against.

My doctor was very encouraging of a natural birth. He said he wanted me to do whatever I was most comfortable with, and if I was really into natural pain relief methods, go for it. He didn't require an IV, but he did want me to have a hep-lock. That's not because he wanted it to be easier for him to "push interventions" on me, but to have just in case of an emergency. In a sudden emergency situation, it can be difficult to get an IV in quickly. I could refuse it, but I realized that the hep-lock was a minor inconvenience that made things safer for me and my baby. I, too, was worried it would be painful, but when I was in labor, I barely noticed the nurse putting it in. If it is extremely painful for you, it might be against a nerve or something and you could ask the nurse to re-do it.

My labor went so quickly that I didn't even have time to do all the nice natural pain relief methods I wanted to try, like the labor tub. Everything went smoothly, and all the worrying I did about interventions was without cause.