Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    It's very likely you may be able to sign specific waivers. A lot of the policies are blanket hospital policies. There are definitely legal reasons for many of the annoying policies, but signing a waiver may give you a few more options. Also, I am finding much of it depends upon your doctor and his or her practices. If he or she is comfortable with you eating during labor or birthing in other positions, then you may be able to, but a waiver may be needed.

RE: IV
    I am not exactly sure what is concerning about the IV? Often, it's a necessary way to hydrate you during a long labor or after extended periods of vomiting. Even home births and birthing centers often use IV's to deliver fluids when needed.

In addition to a doula, definitely write up a birth plan and discuss it with your OB or midwife. From what I've heard, it's best to be very clear and simple. Nurses don't want to read 4 pages of a birth plan. Stick to the most important bullet points and keep it to 1 page.

Good luck!
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

I had a midwife instead of an OBGYN. I highly recommend it if you want a natural birth. Midwives are trained to assist in natural childbirth whereas OBGYNs basically specialize in interventions and surgery. I still delivered in a hospital and there was a doctor on-call just in case of emergency.

To answer your questions (to the best of my ability):

- Yes, you can choose what position you want to labor/deliver in, with some exceptions. In my case, my water broke while the baby was still high (her head was not against my cervix), so I had to lay in bed until the contractions moved her down so that the cord wouldn't slip out first. That was for the baby's safety. So, in situations like that where it would be dangerous, yes they're going to tell you what to do. You're going to want them to.

- I asked this at one of my check-ups. My midwife said I could (as long as I didn't do it right in front of a nurse or a doctor because they would try to stop me), but that I most likely wouldn't want to eat. And that was the truth. Juice, popsicles, and stuff like that are allowed anyway. I really doubt you'll want anything more substantial. Plus, whatever goes down will probably come back up later, so...that's something to consider as well.

- At the hospital where I delivered, no I couldn't refuse an IV. When I pre-registered to deliver there I had to sign a form agreeing to it. The thing is, it's a precaution. They want to have a line started so that they can give you any medications you may need quickly in the event of an emergency. It can be hard to find a good vein even under normal circumstances. You aren't going to want them to have to waste precious time searching for a usable vein if, God forbid, something happens and you or your baby's life is hanging in the balance. They started the line when I was admitted to the hospital, but it wasn't hooked up to anything. It was kind of annoying at first, but you forget about it when the time comes.

The doctors let me eat the morning my son was born. It didn't matter much because I threw it all back up 10 minutes after I ate.

I'm not sure why you'd want to refuse an IV? I agree with sdsurfmama on this one. Are you referring to an epidural? Because yeah, you have every right to refuse an epidural. At one point, the doctors tried to tell me that they were going to give me one soon and I flat out told them that I wasn't getting one. I'd told them the night before, too!
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

I am pretty sure that you have the right to refuse anything. They will prevent you from eating or drinking at most hospitals in case you need a C. They will limit your mobility if you have fetal monitoring which will be a band around your belly, if you have a catheter in your urethra, if you get an epidural, anything that tethers you! I do think that anyone with an intensive birth plan does have that "annoying customer" rep in the hospital setting. You will probably spend most of your labor with a hospital staff nurse who you have no idea of her philosophies, personality, ect. I think that if your goals are to have a natural delivery it's best to at least get a doula, at best go the route of a birth center or home birth.

On the flip side, I had no birthplan and figured I would feel it out as far as pain management, I had a "light" or "walking" epidural, gave birth in a hospital setting and really had a great experience. I've heard just as many natural birth nightmare stories about midwives refusing episiotomies to keep their stats down, becoming verbally abusive when a mom wants to seek intervention, one mom I know used a practice of 4 midwives and l&d with one she only met once who was texting while she was in transition. Midwivery is big business now too. In fact, I only ended up with my male OBGYN because all of the female midwives & OBGYNs were booked solid! And he is the head OBGYN at a Park Slope, Brooklyn hospital which is basically the baby capitol of the world!

You have the right to refuse any treatment you do not want. Make sure you discuss it all with you OB before hand and have it clearly set out in your birth plan.

I was unfortunately not able to have a vaginal birth due to medical complications but I can't recommend Ina May's Guide to childbirth highly enough. It's a very empowering book
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl