Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    It totally depends where you choose to give birth and what the protocol is for that specific place. A good friend of mine says "Sign up for a hospital birth, get ready for the hospital ride" when it comes to many things and not wanting to do those things but 'needing' to do them. Don't get me wrong, certain procedures when done for the health of both mama and baby are a wonderful thing, but at least near me there are things done for everyone regardless of need in many situation. Hiring a doula who has had clients before in your particular hospital would be a good first step as well as asking questions to mamas who have been there for births before to see what you can expect as 'normal' for this particular establishment.
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)

You should be allowed to give birth in whatever position you wish. As for eating/drinking, you may not be allowed if your labour is progressing slowly and there's a chance you may need surgical intervention.

You can refuse an IV, but really, if they are giving you an IV its with good reason so I probably wouldn't refuse it.

I had a natural birth with just gas and air with Daisy and the hospital were more than happy to go with my wishes and didn't offer me an epi because my birth plan said I didn't want one.

If you make your wishes very clear you should be okay.

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Thanks all! The reason I am wary of the IV is because first of all, my sister straight up told me the IV hurt worse than her delivery, (and she had 2 naturally). You may or may not agree with that, but that was her take. Secondly, it has been mentioned that if you already have the IV, it makes it easier for them to push further medications/interventions on you because the line is already in place. (Obviously not an epidural, but perhaps other meds like Demerol?)

There is a birth center in my city, but they are very selective and only work with very low-risk mothers. With the possibility of twins and my family history, I'm very concerned they won't take me on. That leaves me with two main hospitals, neither one that seems to have a natural-friendly reputation. (And only one that is in-network.)

I'm just feeling very frustrated. Feeling completely out of control of issues that pertain to MY body and MY child. I don't want to have to go into this swinging and fighting, but fear that's what it might come down to. I've even read stories about OBs who have refused to work with women who want to go the natural route. It just disgusts me, and I don't know how to handle it. I'm not, by nature, a confrontational person at all. But this feels like a fight waiting to happen. I guess I need to hire a doula, (an added expense in addition to our other mounting medical bills,) to help advocate for and educate me.

Thanks for all your advice and support! I really do appreciate it!
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Phaedra, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Caspian

Find out if any midwives deliver at the hospital you have to deliver at. I delivered my baby without pain medication attended by a midwife in a hospital. I can't say enough great things about my midwife! Like I said before, OBGYN is a surgical specialty. They're trained in intervening in childbirth. I don't think they're all necessarily horrible and refuse to let women deliver naturally, but when you're trained to see problems and offer certain solutions, you're going to see problems and offer those solutions, know what I mean? Midwives are medical professionals too, and will do whatever is best for mama and child including handing your care over to the OBGYN on call if need be, but they have more experience than most OBGYNs in the process of natural childbirth.

I totally agree with hiring a doula. Why do you think you would risk out of a birth center birth? If its too personal to mention (and I obviously am no professional so what I think doesn't really matter,lol), you never know until you ask the staff there and meet with them to see if you really do risk out. There are lots of crazy things on both sides of our family, and I have had 3 out of hospital (home) births and assume I would have been able to do a birth center if I had chosen as well.

You also may be able to find a doula who is working towards her DONA certification and willing to do it for cheaper than a fully certified one, or, a doula who is not certified on paper at all but does have lots of experience. Ask around, google search in your area or ask at the birth centers to see if they know of anyone who will come to your hospital. Word of mouth works as well, and, while my doulas were always free (I am lucky!) they are worth every penny and my biggest recommendation to any pregnant mama who is planning a natural birth in or out of the hospital.

A hospital doesn't mean a horrible birth experience (when I say "experience" know that this obviously does not trump all safety in mind to me) when you have a doula and chosen OB or MW there who you have gotten to know over the last 9 months. Interview withing the practice and see who you jive with the best, although depending on "who is on" when you go into labor, you might not get that person or they might come in special for you. (As did my OB that I had with Bronwen)
    Married to my love since August 2001
    --—————————————
    My lovely bunch of coconuts;
    Sebastian Elihu (7/02)
    Bronwen Eliza (2/04)
    Linus Ezra Graham (9/06)
    Violet Leona (1/09) and
    Wolfgang Levi (3/13)
    Always missing our Felix Emmanuel (10/10-10/10)