Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Claudius?

Claudius?

Another Roman emperor name suggested by my husband. I really like the sound, and unlike Tiberius (his other favourite), I can actually see myself using it as a first name.
    What puts me off is the meaning - lame. However, my husband was quite annoyed to find that meaning listed by nameberry. His view is Claudius is the name of an emperor who did *have* physical disabilities (he had weak knees and other impairments), but the name itself doesn't mean lame.

Thoughts?
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett

Ah, Claudius! A name that brings forth images of head busts. About the name meaning; Claudia was the old Roman family name, origin in the Latin word claudus which means limping or lame. So he's misinformed, I'm afarid.
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Which came first, though? Does the Latin word claudus come from the emperor Claudius?

My husband has degrees in Latin and Classics so I usually expect him to know about these things. Though it has been a long time since he completed his degrees (and he doesn't use them in his work) so he could always have made a mistake.
    Last edited by milasmama; June 23rd, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
    Mother to miss Mila Arden and her brand new brother, Cato Bennett