Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Two families, one baby name crisis

Hi all,

I'm unexpectedly pregnant again. I've already got two sons from a previous relationship, Luke and Elliot (12 and 10) and my partner has a daughter from another previous relationship (Elizabeth "Libby", 6) who he has custody of. We haven't found out the gender of this baby yet but we're looking for a name that can seem as though it would fit with both families.

We don't care about popularity, although we'd like to avoid E and L names if possible. We definitely don't want another El- starting name though, with Elliot and Elizabeth it's a bit much to have a third.

We've had a few thoughts for a potential sister for Luke, Elliot and Libby:

Carmen
    Jasmine
    Ruby
    Molly
    Amelia
    Freya
    Grace
    Phoebe
    Niamh
    Annabel
    Caitlin
    Olivia

What do you think? Or are there any other names that we might not have considered that would suit our possible daughter perfectly?

Thanks in advance,

HappyH

For the siblings you already got, I'd say stick to classic names - I quite like Olivia, Annabel, Amelia, Jasmine and Carmen from your list.

Niamh although I like it, doesn't fit with your other names, imo.

I think most of your list would 'work' with the existing children, with the possible exception of Carmen. Maybe Freya, Niamh and Phoebe less successful matches because of the slightly different origin.

I like Jasmine or Annabel best, and would suggest also

Juliet
    Felicity
    Beatrice
    Megan
    Alice
    Rose
    Bethany
    Laura
    Zoe
    Martha

Off the list, Ruby, Molly, Grace, Amelia, or Annabel are best.

I like the option of a formal classic name with a cute nickname, like Libby has with Elizabeth. So, if you want Molly, you could go with Mary and call her Molly, or use a longer Mary variant, such as Maribelle.

Others: Anna (Annie), Caroline (Carrie), Helena (Nell), Isabel (Belle), Julia (Jules), Katherine (Kit), Margo (Maggie), Ramona (Romy), Susannah (Sosie), or Victoria (Tori).

Lemon
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Tiggerian - I think classic names are good, but I don't want to go too classic like Elizabeth because Luke and Elliot aren't quite on the same classic level. I need to try and find that middle ground.

vhc21 - I really like the name Megan but my partner has a niece called Morgan and I think that's a little too close. Zoe, Alice and Rose are all nice names though.

Lemon - I wouldn't use Mary as that was the name of my partner's ex-mother in law. I like the names Victoria, Isabel, Katherine and Susannah from your suggestions, and Isabel, though we can't use as another niece is named Isabella.