Names Searched Right Now:

Question Slugs and Snails

This is our list for possible future sons. I love all of them but some have their bad points. What do you think?

First names:

Bastien - LOVE this one! It has a very masculine feel for me and I prefer this French spelling to Bastian. It is also not very common, which we like. It doesn't however have a very inspiring meaning - "person from ancient city of Sebasta".

Emmett - Really like Emmett, but am worried about the possible Twilight connection. Really like names starting with vowels and love the double consonants it has. It speaks honesty and calmness to me. It has also recently become quite popular and I'm not too comfortable with that.

Keir - Like how it's short and strong. Also fond of the K names, but am worried the spelling would baffle people. Doesn't seem to be too popular, but I did vaguely know a Keir as a kid. Is that weird to use a name of someone you know?

Leo - A lovely short, simple name. I love the -o ending. But it is becoming more and more popular. Don't really sway towards common names usually.

Jared - An unusual choice for me. I've always loved J names, and this one is really nice but it seems a bit old for a baby.

Finley - Love this name. It is really one of my favourites. However, I hate how it is now popular for girls. Not sure about Finley or Finlay but definitely don't like Findlay or Finleigh. As for nicknames - Finn is lovely but one -n or two?

Middle names ONLY:

Arthur - One of my top names of all time. Always said if I had a son he'd be Arthur. Didn't anticipate having a husband who's surname is Wright. Arthur Wright(us)... Oh dear! However, since it can't be a first name, I really want to use it as a middle. It seems strong and is an ancient name with a great history.

Cosmo - Quite an unusual choice. I actually knew a Cosmo when I was younger. Like how it sounds like 'cosmos' but wondered about teasing potential.

Lucian/Julian - Not too fond of having more than one child with names ending in -n. Seem too similar for me and it would become a tongue twister. However, love both of these and I think that they would make good strong middle names.

Clancy - I love this, but husband isn't too keen. He says it's girly and not masculine at all. I sort of disagree... but. It is an Irish name, not very common. Does it seem too feminine? Is it too unique?

Alfred - Don't normally like classic names, but Alfred seems to be an exception. I like it's long name but am worried it would get shortened to Fred which I don't like. I don't mind Alfie (but seems to common) or Freddie (could that be a nickname for Alfred?). Qould probably usually stick to the full name. Are there any other suggestions for nicknames for Alfred?

Bryce - Like this name, but seems a bit 'old man-ish'. Do you think it is? Love the y in the middle and definitely prefer it to the Brice spelling. A bit unusual, I like how it is masculine and stong.

Luca - Possibly a bit too common for me, but I like it all the same. Not liking Lucas/Lukas, or the name with a k instead of a c.

First names:

Bastien - LOVE this one! It has a very masculine feel for me and I prefer this French spelling to Bastian. It is also not very common, which we like. It doesn't however have a very inspiring meaning - "person from ancient city of Sebasta". I guess the real question is whether the sound or meaning is more important. My main strike against Bastien is that it is a bit close to b@st@rd.

Emmett - Really like Emmett, but am worried about the possible Twilight connection. Really like names starting with vowels and love the double consonants it has. It speaks honesty and calmness to me. It has also recently become quite popular and I'm not too comfortable with that. I don't think Twilight is such a big issue. Remember N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys? Yeah, they're so far in the past now, just like Twilight will be in a few years. The popularity is something to consider. I also predict that girls will steal this name in the future, due to the Em- beginning.

Keir - Like how it's short and strong. Also fond of the K names, but am worried the spelling would baffle people. Doesn't seem to be too popular, but I did vaguely know a Keir as a kid. Is that weird to use a name of someone you know? Not weird to use the name of someone you know. However, if you live near a Persian community, DO NOT use this name. In Farsi, it is a part of the male anatomy... yup.

Leo - A lovely short, simple name. I love the -o ending. But it is becoming more and more popular. Don't really sway towards common names usually. Leo is a great name, although I do know a number of Leos... What about using it as a nn for a longer name, like Leonard, Leonardo, Leon, Aurelio, etc.

Jared - An unusual choice for me. I've always loved J names, and this one is really nice but it seems a bit old for a baby. I do have a soft spot for Jared, but it just sounds so old...

Finley - Love this name. It is really one of my favourites. However, I hate how it is now popular for girls. Not sure about Finley or Finlay but definitely don't like Findlay or Finleigh. As for nicknames - Finn is lovely but one -n or two? I do think this one may continue to go to the girls... I think I prefer Fintan, Finbar, Phineas, and Finnegan...

Middle names ONLY:

Arthur - One of my top names of all time. Always said if I had a son he'd be Arthur. Didn't anticipate having a husband who's surname is Wright. Arthur Wright(us)... Oh dear! However, since it can't be a first name, I really want to use it as a middle. It seems strong and is an ancient name with a great history. I feel you on this... DH's surname ends with an -r... there went some of my top picks. :P Would it be possible to use 2 middle names? xxx Arthur xxx Wright would be best, to keep Arthur and Wright from slurring...

Cosmo - Quite an unusual choice. I actually knew a Cosmo when I was younger. Like how it sounds like 'cosmos' but wondered about teasing potential. It is an interesting and kinda cool choice... Have you also considered Caelum (Kai-lum, Latin for sky), Orion, or Evren (Turkish for cosmos)?

Lucian/Julian - I generally prefer Lucian, as I always hear Julian with a Mexican accent (I'm from near the border), and it sounds too much like hooligan...

Clancy - I love this, but husband isn't too keen. He says it's girly and not masculine at all. I sort of disagree... but. It is an Irish name, not very common. Does it seem too feminine? Is it too unique? I think of Tom Clancy... not girly to me... but it would make a great nn. Have you also considered Kian, Kearney, Cormac, Ciaran, Keegan, Killian, Connelly, Conall, Malcolm, or Dermot?

Alfred - Don't normally like classic names, but Alfred seems to be an exception. I like it's long name but am worried it would get shortened to Fred which I don't like. I don't mind Alfie (but seems to common) or Freddie (could that be a nickname for Alfred?). Qould probably usually stick to the full name. Are there any other suggestions for nicknames for Alfred? Alf. This isn't really my fav name.

Bryce - Like this name, but seems a bit 'old man-ish'. Do you think it is? Love the y in the middle and definitely prefer it to the Brice spelling. A bit unusual, I like how it is masculine and stong. This is quite old, as I know a LOT of Bryces near my age (I'm in my late 20s)...

Luca - Possibly a bit too common for me, but I like it all the same. Not liking Lucas/Lukas, or the name with a k instead of a c. Good as a middle name, but variations of Luke seem so overdone lately. What about Lars, Lance, Linden, Lewis, or Lawrence?
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Thanks 'tfzolghadr'. Some really good suggestions there. I did think about teasing potential for Bastien but I do really like it. I love your suggestions about Cosmo - Caelum in particular is very nice. I know what you mean about Luca and Bryce.
    Arthur is the big problem, thanks for your suggestions. I myself have four names and so does my brother so two middle names is a possibility.

Thanks again

I like Bastien, Keir (or Keiran) and Finn (but not with the -ly sound). Leo is ok, but I prefer it as a nickname for Leonardo or Leonidas. Finn is least likely to get bullied, but Bastien is my favorite, and I love the French spelling.

Thaks 'rkrd'. I never really thought about Keiran, but I like it. I don't really like Leonardo, probably just Leo for me. I love Bastien too!