Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elara - Pronunciation?

My fiancé and I both like the name Elara on paper (he’s an astronomy buff, and Elara is one of the moons of Jupiter). Then it comes to saying the name out loud.

When I first read it, I pronounced it eh-lar-ruh (soft e, similar to Elaina, but with an r in the middle), but after some research it appears that the general consensus on pronunciation is EE-la-ra with the emphasis on the e (similar to the -ie sound at the end of Sophie).

I don’t really like the EE-la-ra pronunciation, so my questions are;

• How did you pronounce this name when you first read it?
    • Would it be terrible to purposefully ‘mispronounce’ this fairly unusual name if we did use it for a child further down the road?
    My Top 10 Girls Names: Astrid, Elara, Evelyn, Hannah, Hester, Lorna, Megan, Ophelia, Sylvia, Tabitha
    My Top 10 Boys Names: Alistair, Andrew, Graeme, Hamish, Leopold, Martin, Peter, Rupert, Tobias, William
    Guilty Pleasures: Athena, Aurelius, Damaris, Digory, Hermione, Isis, Phineas, Loki, Myrtle, Nymeria, Nyx, Orion

I said "eh-lar-uh" in my head. Purposefully mispronouncing a name is a big negative in my book, so I would move on if I didn't like the proper pronunciation...
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

The latinized version would sound like a-lara (closer to eh-lara). I also prefer it, and would automatically say it that way.You could give her a latin middle name, and correct new acquaintances who apply the Anglo- ee-lara.

I would also said Eh-lara, but I am foreigner. I think is not wrong to mispronounce it purposely if it such a rare name.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

I would pronounce it eh-LAHR-uh, like Elana (eh-LAHN-uh), and I think that is how most people living near me would say it. It's a beautiful name though - I'd never heard it before!

GIRLS: Carlotta Miriam BenedikteMarguerite Airlie SusannahElisabet Ruth Frederica

Car Baby Tuppence Zosia Mabel---------------------------------------------Recent Fancies: Hamish Idris February & Vivian Tamsin Blythe