Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Swiss names: Do they exist?

Or are they generally an amalgamation of French, German, and Italian names? With, possibly, a few other cultural inspirations? My dad has recently insisted to me that we are not German, but Swiss, and I'm just curious if it makes a huge difference as far as names are concerned... I like the idea of having a few names on my list to honor my heritage. I do have some Welsh and French and English names already, and I did have some German names I loved (Emmeline, Johanna, Genevieve, etc.), but I'm just curious what some Swiss names would be...

Thanks, ladies.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I actually have no idea but, we have family friends who live in Zurich and they all have "German" names.
    I would assume that what could be considered "swiss" would be an amalgamation of German, French and Italian names.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

You can be Swiss- a national of Switzerland... but in terms of languages, Swiss isn't a language.
    Romansh is a language, though, and only holds official language status in Switzerland (along with German, French and Italian, all of which are obviously official in other countries apart from Switzerland). I have a friend whose family is Swiss, but they speak Swiss German... and write Standard German because Swiss German is a spoken language, not a written one). They are definitely not German, though.

http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/f...renoms/02.html
    ^ This is a stat page for names in Switzerland. You can search by name & year, or by the top 20 of a given year. I don't know if that helps, but if you go back to like, 1902 you get a very different list than the current one, and it's decidedly more German, so that may give you some insight.

I'm willing to bet there are names that are strictly regionally Swiss... but I have no idea what they are or there you'd find them.

I'm definitely not an expert in Switzerland- this is just the info I've gotten from my friend, and wikipedia. Good luck!
    Lucia
    Sela, Iris, Bronwen and Bastian, Fletcher, Gideon

Briefly checked my genealogy records and found 2 Christians, Michael, and Anna Caterina...all German, I think, and living near Bern.

I guess u could use Swiss place names instead?