Names Searched Right Now:

Any Irish Berries?

I would really like to hear from Irish Berries on this one...

I have been obsessed with the name Saoirse today and I just had a few questions about it.

1. What is the most authentic pronunciation? Sear-sha?
    2. What is the view/attitude towards the name and it's "political statement" since it means "freedom, liberty." Is it used for a more Conservative outlook? What kind of people name their daughter's Saoirse? Is it like naming your daughter Palin or Reagan in the US?
    3. Are there any acceptable spellings that are more phonetic?

Thanks for any information you have!
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Hiya!

1) The actress Saoirse Ronan has brought international attention to this name. I think she has said she pronounces it more Sur-sha, but the most authentic pronounciation is definitely Sear-sha.

2) The name does both mean "freedom" and is the word for freedom in the Irish language, but with regards the name itself, its 'political statement' is basically non-existant. Parents do not choose the name for the sake of its meaning here, and to be honest, I think that these days, its meaning would be viewed more as a kind of generic, loose, personal freedom, not freedom in the political sense. The name is used widely both north and south of the border in Ireland, but not as any kind of statement. I don't think there's any comparison with the Palin/Reagan naming thing here, aside from the fact I think it would be very rare for an Irish person to be inspired enough by a politician to name their child after them, the use of surnames as first names is extremely rare, basically non-existant here.

3) Saoirse is the only spelling I would consider, as as Irish speaker anything else would just feel wrong! Internationally, I understand the possible desire to make it more phonetic, but I do think it's a name that is becoming recognisable internationally, in the same way Sean, Siobhan, Sinead, Ronan etc have become. The only suggestion I could make would be to consider Sorcha maybe? It's very much in the same vein, it's pronounced "SUR-a-KA" in the south of Ireland, and "Soar-sha" in more northern parts. Róise is another with the same sound ending, it is pronounced Row (to rhyme with low) -sha, and derives from Róisín, which means 'little Rose'.

I hope this helped! If I can help you in any other way, please don't hesitate to ask!
    Last edited by tess27; June 24th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.