Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Our 6 month old daughter is named Mira. I clearly think it's a beautiful, uncommon name. We thought we'd call her Miri for short, but somehow it hasn't come naturally. We actually call her Mirabel as a nickname (go figure!)

I grew up with a good friend named Mira (Mee-ra) and always loved her name. I don't think anyone thinks to pronounce it My-ra. I love it alone as a name, and also like Mirabel. I think I prefer the simple version though.

Hm, thanks for all the feedback, guys! I'm glad most people think "mihr-a" like mirror or else "meer-ah", which are very close. I like both much more than "my-rah," which to me is faintly "wild west trashy" for some reason? Maybe I have a vague association from a movie? I have heard of one Myra born lately. Elmira definitely fits in the Myra-sounding category for me, plus has a weird fantasty novel/old lady feel to me.

Miranda is pretty, but I pronounce always thought of it as "mah-RAN-dah", not "mihr-RAN-da" or "mee-ran-da" so the connection seems more in the spelling than sound? Does anyone pronounce it the other ways?

I like Miriam, that fits the feel of Mira to me the best. Have good friends with a daughter named Miriam, though, so not sure we would use it. (She goes by Mim, which is pretty cute.)

@urshz, Miryana is very pretty. I was going to ask you where it's from, but did a quick search and it seems to be Slavic. Also seems like Miriana is valid spelling. It also seems like Miri or Mira would be an intuitive nn off Miriana. What does everyone else think, would that be a less trendy-sounding option, to have an 'ana' ending rather than a -bel?

Out of all the -belle, -bel, bell, -bella endings I really prefer the look of Mirabel, but I do think it may be too trendy, as some have said. Sadly, I do like Isabel, Annabel, etc, so it partially seems nice to have a -bel that's a more unusual.

Oooh I really love Amira Also I say it meer-a

I really am not a fan of sticking -belle on the end of things. Mirabelle has been bugging me with its trendiness and -belle ending for so long.

Mira is awesome on its own. I've always pronounced it meer-ah. You prefer to pronounce it mihr-ah? If that's the case, Miranda would fit the bill pretty well.

Other than that, the only name that really is popping in my head is Minerva, but that doesn't sound to much like Mira, does it?
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen